• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

better than copper??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

awol

Registered
there was a thread a while ago talking about different materials to be used as a waterblock. and the one material that was better than copper was some sort of aluminum or something like that.

does anyone know or remember what this metal was called? and where can i find some? what are it's primary uses and the such?

I wouldnt go looking to hard. there are other materials out there that would out perform copper..but from a cost stand ponit it wouldnt be worth it...

I do remember a thread about mercury a ways back, is that what your thinking about?

you are probably thinking of silver, although it could be a aluminion compound as used in the thermoengine

aluminion? What is it made of? I thought the thermoengine was all aluminum.

Well, cel950 looks like i stand corrected.

actually, i think silver is only marginally better, there is a copper silver mixture that gives the optimum condictance, but the price/performance standpoint its way out of proportion.

For crying out loud...
There is Copper. There is Silver and there is Cusil. Cusil is an amalgam of Copper and Silver. Something like 25/75. For whatever reason, Cusil exceeds both Copper and Silver for thermal conductivity. A synergistic property. Cusil costs more than pure Silver. The process of blending the two must be expensive to justify the increased cost, or they manufacturer is ripping customers because of the scarcety of the product. Regardless, I don't think either pure Silver or Cusil are so much better than Copper in thermal conductivity, as to justify the increase in price. Certainly, Copper is a lot better than Aluminum, enough to justify the increase in price.

Hoot

You can get .999 Silver water blocks at CaseEtc.com. They only run 79.99. I have my cooling system on the way. You can check out all the newest stuff at that web site or at overclock-watercool.com

does anyone know if is better than regular aluminum? i can get some for free. if it's better which i assume it is, i'll make a block out of that.

Copper conducts heat much better than aluminum and silver conducts heat a little better than copper.

what's this about "I can get an all silver waterblock for ONLY $125" I'd say that's a little much...I mean, why not get a $35 copper waterblock, and spend the other $90 on something that will actually yield $90 worth or performance increase?

roc (Jun 06, 2001 03:37 p.m.):
You can get .999 Silver water blocks at CaseEtc.com. They only run 79.99. I have my cooling system on the way. You can check out all the newest stuff at that web site or at overclock-watercool.com

The only one I saw was a "Poly Silver" water block for $63.80. It doesn't look too good. It's basically a poly block that's NOT M Channel, it's just a hole in the middle with a silver disc attached to the bottom.

yeah, the poly silver and the silver maze, both from caseetc, look like crap. I just read an article on it somewhere that said it doesn't perform as well as an all copper block. Why? Because in the caseetc blocks, only the bottom of the block is silver. The rest of it is a very insulating polyurethane. Therefore, the water has about [edit] half [/edit] the surface contact from which to absorb heat.

The thermal conductivity of copper is about 33% greater than that of aluminum for about 5% more $$. The thermal conductivity of silver is about 20% better than copper for about 1000% more $$. Your choice.

i'll just stick with copper after reading this thread!!

thanks for everyone's thoughts.

does anyone know if aluminum used in aircrafts better than regular aluminum?

Spewn (Jun 07, 2001 07:32 a.m.)
what's this about "I can get an all silver waterblock for ONLY $125" I'd say that's a little much...I mean, why not get a $35 copper waterblock, and spend the other $90 on something that will actually yield $90 worth or performance increase?

Amend brother!

What about beryllium copper alloy? I believe it's much better than pure copper, but comes with a hefty price. I think the bottom line is there's a point of diminishing return with performance vs. price. Are you going to get another MHz with a silver block vs. copper?

Back