• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sneaky Suspisition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WarriorII

Moderator #666
Hi All,

Been a while since I had a good question to ask, but I need some input.
My current sys, as listed below:
I can run my FSB up to 164, but it is unstable. Variable errors, and system crashes. (locks up, freezes....etc. etc.)

Running @ 143FSB it is stable. Running @150-155FSB = mostly stable. Now this is with 2100 DDR, Corsair.

(It has XMS heat sinks on it, but I know it really isn't XMS mem)

My question is: Do you think going to 2700 mem would help?
Would it give me those few extra FSB?

Have any of you done just a memory swap? from 2100 to 2700? or better?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanx.

:cool:

at 164 are you using the divider for 166fsb to get a proper agp/pci frequency? I took crappy no-name PC2100 ddr past 170fsb in my last system using slower memory timings.

it could also be your northbridge. on my kx7-333r, when I first got it, it wouldn't go past 152fsb. I noticed that the north bridge hsf wasn't generating any heat... pulled it off, and there wasn't ANY thermal paste or a thermal pad or anything. nothing. Just a bare heatsink and a via kt333 chip.

I'm not sure if I can reset the PCI divisor on my mobo.

I added a copper base cooler to my NB with AS2.

How is the PCI listed in the BIOS?
like "PCI divider - 4?"
I'm sure it would be listed under, advanced.

oh yeah, that's why... your motherboard has a kt266 chipset and not a kt333. The kt266 only has /3 and /4 divisors. On your mobo you can't select this directly but instead it is chosen under the "System/PCI Frequency" setting.

164 fsb = 41mhz pci and 82mhz agp, which most likely would cause a problem...

i would say the memory is fine.its the chip that doesnt like the fsb.
since yours is unlocked drop the multi down to 8.5 or 8x

then cranck up the fsb.the mhz will be around 1360=8x170 this low multi will let you see what gives out the memory or the mobo.im guess the mobo will first tho.but u need to max the ram out like this to know exctly at what fsb the memory dies at.

also i dont think 2700 will help much.corsair 2100 should do 166fsb in most cases.also u can relax the memory timings to let the ram breath a little more when maxing it out.say 2.5cas

only a switch to xms 3200 would be wise.

I'll give it another shot. Reduce it to 2.5 & see how she goes.
I've had it go up to 157FSB .... but not stable.

I'll check back. L8R.
Thanx.

Been doing a bit more testing here.
Seems @ 155x9.5 it works for a bit, but locks up.
And 155x9 it likes.
Gonna reinstall Sandra and 3Dmark2K and see what the scores look like.

With a PCI divisor of 4 :
@ 155 FSB I get 38.75mhz
@ 160 FSB I get 40mhz (doesn't like this @ all)
Below 38mhz everything seems to be the sweeter spots.
Or @ a 9 multi it'll go to 38.75 (155MHZ)

Back