• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

download question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

viking84

program installing question

Hey all....I am currently running Win 2k pro on an 80 Gig HD with 2 partitions, the first partition (drive C) has only the operating system on it and is partitioned to 5 gigs. The second partition (drive D) is partitioned to the other 75 gigs on the hard drive and has all my files, programs, etc.

My question is: is there any way to set up so that drive D is the default drive when installing a new program or game? Currently, when installing a program , I simply change the drive I want to install a program on from drive C to drive D.

However, I am setting up a new computer for my parents with the drives partitioned the same way, and want it as user-friendly for them as possible, so that a new program would automatically choose drive D as the default drive to install to(saving them from having to do anything besides click and install) instead of the 5 gig drive C

thanks in advance

go to start/run and type in regedit and hit enter.

This is the registry editor, don't edit anything unless you know what you are doing. You've been warned :).

Go to the folder HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion

Look in the right pane for a key called ProgramFilesDir. Double click on it and change the value to be the drive you want it to be(or even D:\Program Files\) or whatever. Hit ok, and exit, and you are good to go!

One note, some of the apps already in that folder might loose their icons(happens in XP). Just right click on those and hit find target and it will fix it for you.

Back