• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LONG cold cathode or neon lamps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Anyone know where to find long (2'-3') cold cathode lamps? (or a similar looking alternative?) I'm planning to make a battery-operated lightsaber for one of my friends who is a star wars fan.

Also, would a long acrylic rod with a couple LED's give the same effect? It would be awesome if you could do a lightsaber fight with it!

Couldn't you just stick 2 or 3 CCFLs end to end?

2 would probably be good, as you could run them off of 1 inverter. Probably best to get CCFLs without any sort of protective shell, and make one big long shell. Not sure about battery life though, but hey, have fun.

Street Glo for cars - people light the bottom of their cars up (kinda like we like to have lights in our case ;)).

They have to cover a sufficient space, and are usually 36-48" long and prolly 1-2" thick (or diameter, however you look at it). Beware tho... the Street Glo will run you $100+. :)

hrm. After looking at some of the articles about the mouse pad lighting techniques, could it be possible to but LEDS or glo-wire inside of a tube and then rough sand the outside of the tube so that only the outside of the tube would be lit.

X2sandman said:
hrm. After looking at some of the articles about the mouse pad lighting techniques, could it be possible to but LEDS or glo-wire inside of a tube and then rough sand the outside of the tube so that only the outside of the tube would be lit.
It'd probably work with glow wire. LEDs wouldn't be bright enough. The ends of the tube would be bright but the middle would not.

Here is what you are looking for:

http://www.amazing1.com/star_wars_light_saber.htm

The length of it lights up gradually, as if you were igniting a lightsaber. You can put 2 end-to-end for the darth maul look, and I think somewhere on the site they even sell custom machined handles to match the ones in the movies.

Also download the "saber practice" video...

Back