• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

static electricty/EMI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jadams

I was wondering...

When a computer is plugged in, you don't really have to worry too much about static electricity right?

Well, what about when it is not plugged in?

Also, if you have a case that is not made of metal, do you have to worry about electromagnetic Interference?

Thanks,
Jeff.

EMI shouldn't ever be a big problem unless you are watercooling and using certain pumps, and have them very close to certain parts.

I have left my computer running without the side panels on, directly between my monitor and my TV. No problems at all.

Not sure about static. If its not plugged in though, and its not grounded at all, I would be hesitant to touch it without grounding yourself (always ground yourself before touching electronics anyways).

ok thanks for the info. I was mostly worried about carrying my wooden computer on the carpet to the TV (back N forth) and having it sitting right next to the TV.

As long as i'm carefull I should be ok :)

Thanks,
Jeff.

Back