• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tubing for fan wires, ect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

In some of the mod pics I see, the cables, and wires from the fans are covered by black plastic tubing it looks like. As well as the wires coming from the PSU. Heres a pic of what I'm talking about:

lian14.jpg

You see the black tubing? What is it for? does it just make things look nicer?

also, where can I buy some?

wire encasement

I personally use spiral conduit, from Radio Shack. It looks good, works great, it is easy to apply, and it is cheap. Other people use heatshrink tubing, but i did not like it. Try out the spiral conduit, you won't be disappointed

How do you wrap this stuff around your wires? the 4 pin molexes look to big to thread through it.

I use a special tool I got years ago that applies zip-ties from a 10' spool. I put one every two inches or so and there are no loose ends. The idea is to reduce air baffling in your case. An unobstructed breeze will travel faster and require less pressure (fans).

tubing

Split Loom tube is much worse. It is not as effective, and is annoying. The point of the spiral tubing is not only to increase airflow, but also to improve the overall look of the case. It gives your power cables a more conformed, refined, look.

I use the split wire loom from the auto shop. Stuff i got is great and pretty strong. Not that flimsy garbage that's constantly opening up after you put it on. I got 3 different sizes to fit.

Large for the ATX cable
Medium for the molex cables
Small for the floppy power cable and evrything else.

Matching plastic ties and a few of the self sticking tube fasteners and my case looks awsome! For that part for the molex, ATX and floppy cable the spreads open a bit that leads to the connector, alittle black tape to cover the colored wires and that was that. A perfect,professional job for under $15!

This stuff i got stays put and it's a pleasure to look at cuz it isn't sloppy like some of the jobs i've seen.

Ask Pinky, he's seen my case :D

Re: tubing

gouda96 said:
Split Loom tube is much worse. It is not as effective, and is annoying. The point of the spiral tubing is not only to increase airflow, but also to improve the overall look of the case. It gives your power cables a more conformed, refined, look.

I don't see how it could possibly be worse. I've used both, and I find the split loom works better (for me anyways). But, to each his/her own. I do however suggest, Gingo, that you use something, to keep your wires all together. It improves airflow incredibly, over having the wire strewn about your case.

Back