• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RedHat 8.0 and Nvidia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I have a nvidia geforce2 ultra and I just started using linux. Due to recomendation I decided to use Redhat 8.0. I must say that i was very impressed with it. Yet i can tell that it is geared toward people with less knowledge on linux. However I would like to install quake3 onto my comp. I went to the nvidia website and found the linux drivers. I downloaded the glx driver and now i need the nvidia kernel. however on their website they only have kernels for redhat up to 7.2. What should I do. Remember that I am new. I am reading the information on a website on how to install the game. Right now i am making sure I have all of my drivers up to date. Also Redhat 8 comes with it's own gui which is very nice. however I would like to use x windows some so that I can learn. how do i get out of the gui and into X windows?
Duck

Go down the page and get the Source RPM. The nVidia readme explains how to use it very well. It's almost the same as using a regular RPM just a couple more commands. You should be able to do it.

-DarkArctic

I would like to use x windows some so that I can learn. how do i get out of the gui and into X windows?

X windows (XFree86) is what runs the gui. GUIs are window managers that sit on top of X and let you have different windows and the like.

Back