• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant get my videocard to work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Homer

well after install my new card (albatron geforce4 ti4200) it doesnt wanna work. i installed the drivers correctly, reboot and then i get a black screen with a lil underscore flashing at the upper left corner forever after it shows the windows logo. is it configing my system or something cuz i left if for an hour like that and still no luck. im running win98se and my system is in my sig. hlp!!! :confused:

Did you uninstall the previous drivers before you installed your new card?
Which drivers did you install?
Have you tried to boot in safe mode?

yes i removed all my previous drivers b4 installing. i installed the drivers off the cd. should i dl the drivers off the website? yes im able to get into safe mode but cant install the drivers cuz it doesnt recognize my cdrom in safe mode.

what is the difference between nvidia drivers vs the drivers off albatrons? just curious but i well do it and let u know later cuz im at work right now :(

The Albatron drivers might be (They probably are) a bit older (30.xx or so), also with some configurations you might experience problems, I was stuck with some old drivers (21.xx), and I've tried almost every driver that came out and non of them worked properly, till I tried the 40.xx drivers.

The 40.xx drivers are still BETA, but they work fine for me....I gained a few points in 3Dmark2k1:)

I would just give it a try, as I've had weird problems with V-card drivers, similar to yours.

heehee....thx!!! yeah when i installed the drivers i believe the version was 30. i well dl the latest drivers u pointed out for me and let u know when i get home. ;) thx for all ur hlp!!!! :beer:

well no luck....i tried the detenator 40.xx and no luck. the closest i got was using the det. 29 but still the same thing and everytime now it hangs and hit the rest button windows loads and i get an error saying "there is a problem with a display setting the adaptor type is in correct or settings do not work with hardware" ekkk is this card compatiable with my motherboard. i even pulled off my SBLive card and left my nic card. hlp!!!

do u think my videocard is bad cuz when i go into safe mode to install the drivers its telling me that its unable to detect nvidia chip. im able to install my drivers in safe mode right? ive always installed my drivers for my videocard in safe mode without any problems. what do u think it is?

i have a 300w psu and all i have connected is my cdrom, burner and nic card. i pulled off my SBLive card cuz i think it was conflicting with it or just had to move it in a different pci slot.

I'm pretty sure it's a driver problem, it's very unlikely that your V-card is bad, I'm running ME and it also told me it couldn't detect a Nvidia chip, I'm not sure how I solved the problem, but I do know that the easiest (and probably fastest) way is to reinstall your OS.

BTW: What kinda V-card did you use before?

yeah thats what i was thinking of reinstalling my os, but im gonna try it out on my brothers system today. hope it works......the other v-card i had were only pci cards. my first one was the diamond stealth s540 32mb and an ati AIW Pro. ouch!!! :eek:

Homer,

One of my friends is experiencing the exact same problem to you. He has a Athlon system with an Asus GF4 Ti4400 and gets the same flashing cursor.

When we look in the Direct X properties, we see that DirectDraw is working (2D) but Direct 3D is not enabled. We can also boot into Safe mode without any problems.

We tried his vid card in my P4 system and we had the same problem. I think it is the card, though we are trying to get ahold of another AGP mobo to test it in that system.

To complicate matters, my Ti4200 gives him the same result in his machine; though it works fine in mine.

Have you resolved this? PCI video cards work fine in the machine - just probs with AGP. Is there a setting in the BIOS that we're overlooking?

Cheers

yeah i got my vcard to run, by just reinstalling windows. i think it had this problem cuz my vcard was a pci. so i would just reformat ur hd and reinstall windows. so that should work......

Yeah. It may be the OS though he has already reinstalled once. I recommended to him to do it again so we'll see what happens.

I'll post his results as soon as we know something.

Cheers

Back