• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rb26dett

Disabled
Ok guys check this out, my temps were 34idle - 38fullload, those temps got achived using all 5 fans in my case plugged into the PSU FAN ONLY plug.
Yesterday I was messing around with my computer and decided to plug the 2 rear fans to a normal PSU power plug, booted up and comp and HOLY MOLY!!! idle temps @ 29c :eek: 33 full load (after 2 hours of hardcore UT2K3 online).
Im thinking about plugging the other 3 fans to a normal PSU power plug and see what thats gonna do :D

Why such a temp diffrence ??? not that im complaning .. just curious.

Maybe down to your mainboard throttling the fan's voltage; Or it could be that 5 fans on the one fan header was overloading it? Put simply, your PSU obviously has the current capability whereas your fan header is "buffered" and controlled by the mainboard monitoring circuitry - usually anything above a few watts is going to strain the MB fan headers.

OMG wtf my volcano 9 does 55c ! are u using AS3? i am and i think i shouldn't i dunno my v9 is at full throttle and i lapped it.... what the f***k am i doing wrong !!! im getting 20c more then u using the same HSF and thouroughbred B core which is cooler

when you say the PSU power plug i hope you mean the one that runs the fan inside it and not the one that powers the PSU as in the 120v!?

rippedsocks said:
OMG wtf my volcano 9 does 55c ! are u using AS3? i am and i think i shouldn't i dunno my v9 is at full throttle and i lapped it.... what the f***k am i doing wrong !!! im getting 20c more then u using the same HSF and thouroughbred B core which is cooler

Yea I bought AS3 at my local computer shop where I do all my hardware purchases (they have great prices! half of what reatail price is) it was $4.99 for a 8gram tube.
Anyways, I applied AS3 slapped the V9, hooked up all of my 5 fans to PSU power plug and viola!

right now im @ 30idle and my V9 fan spins @ 2500rpm

kaltag said:
when you say the PSU power plug i hope you mean the one that runs the fan inside it and not the one that powers the PSU as in the 120v!?

No the power plug that runs from the PSU (what you use to power hdd, floppy, cdrw, dvd drivs :D ) silly :D

step by step explain to me how u applied ur as3... + ive got 3 case fans..... 2 on back(sunon 80mm 30cfm) 1 on the front(Tt smart case fan II 75 cfm)

I have known guys that have burned out those mobo fan headers, also blown large traces off the back of the mobo also. Looks like you have a problem with the fans not getting enough power and that just would be a real pain to solder traces back onto your mobo. I have and well its a pain. Hope this helps a bit.

I seem to remember that the Antec 1080 Psu's "Fan only" connectors are meant to power only 3 (or fewer) fans. At least that's what the directions that came with mine (430watt PSU) said.

So I imagine that the connectors were not supplying enough juice to fully power the five fans you had hooked up.

wildfrogman said:
I have known guys that have burned out those mobo fan headers, also blown large traces off the back of the mobo also. Looks like you have a problem with the fans not getting enough power and that just would be a real pain to solder traces back onto your mobo. I have and well its a pain. Hope this helps a bit.

You talking to me ? :confused:

rippedsocks said:
step by step explain to me how u applied ur as3... + ive got 3 case fans..... 2 on back(sunon 80mm 30cfm) 1 on the front(Tt smart case fan II 75 cfm)

Before I installed anything , i put the cpu chip on my desk, took PCI slot bracket, put little bit AS3 on the chip and carefull spread it all over, let it sit for 2 minutes put it in the MB , install the HSF(made sure its tight and in full contact) and thats it, easy.

rb26dett said:

You talking to me ? :confused:

I think people are confused because they don't understand that the Antec power supply has power connectors that are labled "FAN ONLY." These connections control the voltage (?) to the fans connected to them based on the temperature. Higher temps and the fans will speed up/lower temps and the fans are throttled back.

HE DOESN'T HAVE 5 FANS HOOKED UP TO A MOTHERBOARD FAN HEADER!

Nope, I removed them from the FAN ONLY plug, into a normal power plug that powers up cdrom, hdd and such .... so my FAN ONLY plug is empty.

rb26dett said:
Nope, I removed them from the FAN ONLY plug, into a normal power plug that powers up cdrom, hdd and such .... so my FAN ONLY plug is empty.

Right. I think people thought you had hooked up your fans to the motherboard's fan header, not to the (4 pin) power connectors labled "FAN ONLY" coming from the motherboard. That's why people were talking about burning out your motherboard.

Or does everyone already understand each other. :beer:

Ahhhh... Well, there's your answer. You used a throttled power connector for your fans. Although I have no experience of Antec power supplies - that is what seems to have caused your problem. You move the fan, voltage goes up, fan goes faster, cooler temps - yes? Maybe the temps you were getting originally weren't high enough to max out the PSU?...

CASE AIR FLOW PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what i ALWAYS try to tell em.... they never listen lol

Back