• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LAn Rig: Geforce 2 ti or a Geforce4 MX 460?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

A friend and I are going to be building LAN rigs...
Rather entry level performance levels systems...
Since we can get the cards for around 60 bucks..
We were wondering which would be best..couldnt figur this out cause well the GF4MX is a Geforce2 in retrospec...

Laterz....

The ti4200 displays more effects and details but the MX460 has a faster core- and memory clock (300/550 default). Mine's OCed to 330/630 and it performs about 40% above a GF2 GTS/Pro according to the 3DMark2001 database. And this is on an 'older' system with 'just' a Celly...

If you are running a Dx7 games then a G4MX is God for you. It's VERY VERY Fast.. but I don't know anyone who is stuck on a DX7 games.. Yes it's faster than a G2 ti anything. I think you'll be happy only spending $60 on it.. So I recommend it. If you could spend $20 more, get a 64MB Radeon 8500/9000 (whatever is cheaper) you'll need a huge increase. Doom 3 probably won't run well on a G4MX

GeForce4 MX 440 or Radeon 9000 make excellent value cards and are available from almost all manufacturers out there. I say MX440 hence its most populat of the three and can be had for as little as $99 Canadian!

DS-Master

460... don't even bother with the 440.. and definately not the sdram powered 420.

gf2 is just ooooooold.

quegyboe said:
The GF4 MX440 is the same as the GF4 MX460, just slower clock speeds. Just stay away from the GF4 MX420.
should be faster ns memory on the 460 than the 440.

when you're building lan rigs you need every ounce of overclockability.

Maxvla said:

should be faster ns memory on the 460 than the 440.

when you're building lan rigs you need every ounce of overclockability.
That's pretty much what I ment by slower clocks.

ti4400 has slower clocks too... but the faster memory on the ti4600 means it can overclock the same amount to achieve still faster speeds.

see what i mean. in the world of staggered retailing in computer parts the processor is always going to be similar in performance within a given design such as the gf4 gpu's topping at about 330 for most users and p4 northwoods all topping about 3ghz no matter what speed you start with they are all fairly capable of the same speeds.

now the memory is a completely different animal.

Back