• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS just said to me,

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leathersmt

That there is a known issue with the sis chipsets. AFTER a month of haggleing with the reseller that sold me my P4S8X, I finally have a P4PE with an intel chip in it, here , but not started yet. I also had a problem with my geforce 4 8460m card, and that reseller was kind enought to trade up to the radeon 9700 card, as soon as it gets here I will keep you all posted. But I got it straight from ASUS, do not buy the sis chips guys...... I'm sorry for those of us who still have those boards, (asus p4s333) I am planning of selling mine with a 1.8 procsessor that I never overclocked.
Anyone have any idea of how to find it's worth?

For what it's worth, all chipsets have known issues--intel and non-intel. Cudos for Asus for not trying to sweep it under the rug.

DOH! What, if anything did they say exactly? I've been told by 3 other people in the past week to shy away from SiS. ut as my first overclocking board, SiS seemed good.(P4S533)

they told me ALL sis chipsets have issues and they
are having a lot of returns on them. I do not want to post who it was, because he was honest with me, and I know he may get in trouble for his honesty, but it came straight from one of the people at asus, he also said that there have been major problems with the sis chipset for a long time, and that they have known about it. I hope this helps, and does not ruin your liking the board you have. As I have heard, the P4S533 is a good board.I have the s333 and tried the s8x , snet it back as it was version 1.02, the boards after that issue, are supposed to be good, those being the 1.30 version of the same s8x board.

cursor said:
For what it's worth, all chipsets have known issues--intel and non-intel. Cudos for Asus for not trying to sweep it under the rug.
Now maybe they will admit that the 1.03 Revision of the P4T533R is hunk of s%$t.

one SiS is not the other

The SiS 645 and 645 DX chipsets (Asus P4S333 and P4S533, respectively) have proven trouble free (as long as 150FSB is enough for your chip). The 648 has proven troubled, and not just in its Asus implementation. I can recommend 645 and 645 DX boards, but 648 is just a can of worms for most users.

Wonder how the new dual DDR SiS chipset's going to do? I gotta tell you, I like spending $30-40 less for about the same functionality of an Intel chipset.

I had the 648 in two boards, and it was nothin but trouble, and I wanted a higher bus speed anyway..... the mouse froze when I went to use it, and now I do not have any of the porblems I had on the sis chipsets, now it is a intel ....same ASUS tho.....

Let me know how you get on with the new board because my P4S8X is driving me crazy, I can truthfully say its a worse m/board I have ever had the misfortune to own......

So many errors with it, it hates running DDR333, i get windows proctection errors and radom reboots and all manner of other Sh*t too with this board.....

I guess the SIS648 chipset is totally buggy......

I will be sending my board back as soon as I get my RMA number.........

So will be interested in how your board runs with DDR333, and weather It can take more (ie DDR400) and what fsb is stable.....??

thanks,

Simon.

I haven't been having any problems with the P4S533 and the 645DX chipset. Although I know for a fact that the P4S8X is buggy, but it uses a different chipset (SIS 648).

Just as a theoretical sidenote: I wouldn't put *too* much faith in what a telephone/email guy at whatever company says. My experience is that these people do not hesitate to tell flat out lies or rumours in an attempt to sound knowledgeable or agreeable.

I'm not saying this particular information is false or anything, just a general observation about how people are inclined to believe pretty much anything when it's uttered by a company employee.

Back