• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Ghz Thunderbird too hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeuffelHunden

I know this question gets asked too much, but why is my CPU so hot? Idle temp is 31C, but my load temp. has gone as high as 70C under heavy load. AMD says that the thunderbird IGhz has a max temp of 90C, but this seems way too high. What would cause my temp too shoot up so high?

AMD Athlon 1 Ghz
Abit KT7A
ATI Radeon 32DDR
Soundblaster Live 5.1 gamer
Western Dig. 40gig, 7200 HD
300w PS
Chrome Orb (rated for up to 1.3 Ghz)
2 case fans (intake and exhaust)
Sony 12x CDRW

It could be a number of things. First and foremost is, do you have some good thermal grease between your Heatsink and cpu? Also, I know the chrome orb looks cool, it does a pitiful job of cooling. So what I would recomend is to get some Arctic Silver2 and a better Heatsink/Fan. I would recomend a FOP32, Alpha PAL6035, Or something from Taisol or Vantec.

KaNZa is rite ditch the orb and you will be much happier, they are truly a bad design. the lack of surface area and its unability to handle the heat your throwing at it is why your temps just keep rising and rising, with a better HSF you should be able to keep temps down as your full load temps are way way to high.

goodluck

if you replace the hsf (which i recommend doing) please do me a favor. take a sledge hammer to the orb. they are just pathetic and i dont think they deserve to be around anymore.

The radical temperature swing from idle to load says it all. Though your Orb is adequate for the current consumed by your CPU at idle, It's heat transfer capability is overwhelmed when your CPU reaches a certain amount of current draw. It's like my old FOP-32. At 50W it does a very acceptable job. At 60W it is struggling to do the job and by 70W and more it's capacity is overwhelmed.

If you graph the temperature of your CPU over a range of wattages, the response starts out flat, then transitions into a linear slope and finally skyrockets. At the point where the slope skyrockets, you have just overwhelmed your HSF.

Hoot

I had similar problems with an Athlon 900. Changed my old Cooler Master hsf for a Thermal Total Solution and got some thermal paste. I know this hsf is not a brilliant one and the paste is just generic. My CPU temperature without load came down from 67 C to 49.1 C under full load and running at 1017.
Sorry if this makes no sense I am a Newbie!

I had similar problems with an Athlon 900. Changed my old Cooler Master hsf for a Thermal Total Solution and got some thermal paste. I know this hsf is not a brilliant one and the paste is just generic. My CPU temperature without load came down from 67 C to 49.1 C under full load and running at 1017.
Sorry if this makes no sense I am a Newbie!

Joni;
That's an excellent HSF for two reasons. Lot of surface area and it uses all three lugs on the socket for its clip. The stock fan that comes with it is too wimpy to take advantage of all that surface area though. If you get one, definitely get a more powerful fan. If you have a few more dollars to spare, consider getting the CGK-760092. It is the 740092 with a copper heat spreader clad to the base. The fan issues still applies with this one also. Some resellers allow you to specify a different fan when ordering. Consider the YS-Tech 26cfm or if you don't irritate easily, the Delta 38cfm screamer. Good Luck and he/she is sure a cutie pie.

Hoot

what about case cooling, it's no good haveing a good cooler if you have no fans giveing you fresh air or getting rid of the hot air. also consider getting artic silver

Hoot (Jun 13, 2001 09:27 a.m.):
Joni;
That's an excellent HSF for two reasons. Lot of surface area and it uses all three lugs on the socket for its clip. The stock fan that comes with it is too wimpy to take advantage of all that surface area though. If you get one, definitely get a more powerful fan. If you have a few more dollars to spare, consider getting the CGK-760092. It is the 740092 with a copper heat spreader clad to the base. The fan issues still applies with this one also. Some resellers allow you to specify a different fan when ordering. Consider the YS-Tech 26cfm or if you don't irritate easily, the Delta 38cfm screamer. Good Luck and he/she is sure a cutie pie.

Hoot

Yep the CGK-760092 is a great cooler. I've just got it, and it made me able to to get 29MHz more out of my Duron AND lower my full load temps with 2C! And the HSF I had before was a Coolermaster, and that one is better than the Chrome Orb, so TeuffelHunden u should get a even better result.

Hoot, how much do u think the Black Dalta would do for my 740092? I'm using the stock fan now.

Walter:-( (Jun 14, 2001 02:23 p.m.):
Hoot, how much do u think the Black Dalta would do for my 740092? I'm using the stock fan now.

Joe did a review of the 740092 and did not even bother using the fan that came with it because it was so underpowered. I will venture that the Delta 38cfm screamer will gain you a minimum of 5C reduction in ?CPU temp, over the stock 60x15 21cfm fan.

Here's a link to Joes review. All the fans he tried, besides the Delta are much better than the stock fan.

Hoot

Back