• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

airflow

Registered
Does anyone know how good the Thermaltake Volcano 8 is?
The thermaltake website claims it has a resistance of 0.51 C/W should I believe this?

If it does perform well, and better than a Volcano 6cu+, then it seems like better value(AUD $30)

I'm just looking for better cooling(without spending too much) for my Tualatin 1.2, which currently has the stock hsf.

Also how good are these standard coolers, Intel's "Thermal Solution". Does anyone know the thermal resistance of them?

thanks.

0.51 C/W is actually pretty bad. I think the 6Cu+ would probably perform better than this Volcano 8. Take a look at the frontpage for heatsink rankings and you can whats best. Right now the AX-7 or SLK800 would be your best bet. If you can only get Thermaltake the 7+ is probably the best performer at of all of them.

RnPgrosz said:
Right now the AX-7 or SLK800 would be your best bet. If you can only get Thermaltake the 7+ is probably the best performer at of all of them.

Isn't the Tualatin an Intel chip - which would make it Thermalrights AX-478 or Tt's Volcano 7+. ;)

Robin Hood said:

Isn't the Tualatin an Intel chip - which would make it Thermalrights AX-478 or Tt's Volcano 7+. ;)

Actually, Socket 478 is P4 so an AX-478 would not work(as this is socket 370). Any heatsink that is Socket A will work Socket 370.

RnPgrosz said:
Actually, Socket 478 is P4 so an AX-478 would not work(as this is socket 370). Any heatsink that is Socket A will work Socket 370.

Oops :eek: I stand corrected. Thanks RnPgrosz. :D

Edit - RnPgrosz, just seen your sig. sweet overclock.

I've been looking at the comparisons here www.dansdata.com/coolercomp

This guy has used his own method of testing heaps of coolers, and I suppose they can't be compared with the rankings on the frontpage, but he rates the 6cu+ at 0.59 C/W and the Volcano 7+ at 0.52 C/W.

Has anyone used a volcano 8? I suppose they must be pretty new

check it out:
http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v8.htm

airflow said:
Has anyone used a volcano 8? I suppose they must be pretty new

Dabs in the UK stocked them a while back (3 months) but I haven't seen them elsewhere. The overclocking store (another Tt dealer in the UK) were asked on their forum, why had Tt gone form a 7+ to a 9 with no 8? To which they replied, there is one but it doesn't feature on Tt's web site.

So it's not that new but is rare so you are unlikely to see much feedback on it, sorry. There are however, plenty of threads on the 7+ and 9. Also as RnPgrosz mention Thermalright's AX7, take a look at that. An excelant HS that's going out of production and so there could be a good deal there.

airflow said:
I've been looking at the comparisons here www.dansdata.com/coolercomp

This guy has used his own method of testing heaps of coolers, and I suppose they can't be compared with the rankings on the frontpage, but he rates the 6cu+ at 0.59 C/W and the Volcano 7+ at 0.52 C/W.

Those charts are a bit off. :)

thats totally wrong....
if your c/w was as high at 0.50 your temps would be high as hell...theres no way those c/w s are ven close to right.I mean with a 72w 2100+ and 0.5 c/w that means at a room temp of 25 your cpu would be 61C which is crazy....TO be more or the right track...the volcano 7+ has about .29c/w and the thermalright ax-7 has about 0.27c/w. the best ever is the slk-800 with a 0.23c/w

Back