• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What damage can a defective monitor do ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kael

After several suspiciously damaged harddrives i try to locate the cause.

This summer there was a terrible thunderstorm and it struck my house...several modems died..and a mobo. BUT, but when i tried the monitor connected to one of the computer i heard a *poof* but the monitor seem to work..

During this fall i have had 4 damaged harddrives...they dont die but they start making strange noises overtime..a skratchy noise nor normal. I can't locate the cause! I have changed everything used during the event with the thunderstorm. Except the monitor!!

Could it be as bad that it is the monitor ??

What else could it be ? It is not the power here, its ok. Tested it.

Please advise!

Kael said:
After several suspiciously damaged harddrives i try to locate the cause.

This summer there was a terrible thunderstorm and it struck my house...several modems died..and a mobo. BUT, but when i tried the monitor connected to one of the computer i heard a *poof* but the monitor seem to work..

During this fall i have had 4 damaged harddrives...they dont die but they start making strange noises overtime..a skratchy noise nor normal. I can't locate the cause! I have changed everything used during the event with the thunderstorm. Except the monitor!!

Could it be as bad that it is the monitor ??

What else could it be ? It is not the power here, its ok. Tested it.

Please advise!
Did you change the power supply?
If not, have you checked the voltages on the power supply rails using motherboard monitor or another program?

I dont think a monitor could cause problems like that.

if they did recieve a power surge or drop from the storm you could of damaged them - but im guessing there wasnt a storm everytime you replaced your harddisks and psu...

what harddisks are they? perhaps they are overheating or something

Two Western Digital WD800JB's and two IBM GXP 120 40gb

No, not overheating. The have been used in an LianLi case with fans right infront of the drives.

Back