• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kinda urgent - did I kill my BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

OK, I just got done installing watercooling. Goto power up, nothing. The fans spin up, so does the hard drive, my little LED mod things light, but nothing. I wipe the BIOS and it boots, albeit I have to reset everything. Save options and exit, nothing again.

I already flashed a new BIOS in there.

So what? The computer works, so the BIOS can't be gone (boot from floppy, load defaults and boot into safe mode). This also pretty much rules out a dead CPU, RAM, or HD. Everything seems OK except I can't save my options to the BIOS, and every time I completely power off I have to wipe the BIOS again.

So what do you think? Did I bust something?

--Illah

No, i dont think you have broken anything.

Are you overclocking by any chance?

Did this just happen when you flashed a new bios, if so, can you flash back to an earlier version?

Just curious.

Since you just switched to watercooling, Do you have a fan hooked up to the cpu fan header? Some boards wont operate properly unless it detects tose rpm's

I took it apart, put it back together, and now I got problems. The BIOS flash was just to try and fix my problems :)

Just like you said I don't think I really broke anything since the computer still works... If the CPU is the brain, the BIOS is the DNA. If I really killed it I wouldn't be able to do ANYTHING with the machine.

I can't explain it. The battery did cross my mind, but this doesn't seem reminiscent of battery problems. I might grab one today just in case. Also the fan thing, my comp just gives an alarm that says the fan is busted, and I override it. There's a way to shut off the alarm in the BIOS, but.............that's where my problems are.

--Illah

---UPDATE---

Man, it's good to sleep on things sometimes. A little more messing around and I figured it out:

While I was tearing up the machine I must have messed up my unlock!

I was troubleshooting and things seemed to be working (change a few settings, reset, repeat). It fixed itself? Well, no. Once I changed the multi the little status LED things went red, meaning dead chip. It still works at the default though!

Phew... That's some relief.

--Illah

Back