• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC2700 Corsair Recognized As PC2100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ishakir

Hello guys,

I recently bought a stick of PC2700 Corsair Ram and its only being detected as 2100. Also my benchies are around 1870/1781 on Sandra. Is this normal? If not, how can I get it to run at the speed it should run at.

-Ish-

well if the mobo supports 2700 and the chip is stock speed you need to move the memory ratio to 4:5 ratio.

Hello again,

I'm really new to this overclocking stuff, what exactly would I change in Bios?

I have an Epox 8k5A2+ and I'm pretty sure that it supports PC2700.

Thanks again,
-Ish-:beer:

Fortunately you can correct that in the BIOS, just because you install PC2700 doesn't mean it runs or is recognized as PC2700.

There are 3 settings in the BIOS which will determine the speed of RAM(By SPD-which reflects the current FSB, 133MHz, or 166MHz)

The default setting for the DRAM Clock is "By Speed" so your memory would run and display at PC2100 because the default FSB is 133MHZ and even though you crancked the FSB to 140MHz, it won't change the DRAM Clock until you hit 166FSB.

Here is how to change that:

1. Enter your BIOS
2. Go to Advanced Chipset Features
3. Go to DRAM Clock/Drive Control
4. Select DRAM Clock
5. Select 166MHz as the DRAM Clock speed
6. F10/Save & Exit

correction by spd is the default set multiplier not nessecarily same as fsb

I was generalizing, since with the EPoX is will override the By SPD, which although most memory have this added features there are still some that do not...

If I understand it correctly it actually works like this: Serial presence detect (SPD) is information stored in an EPROM chip on a memory module that tells the BIOS the module's size, data width, speed, and voltage. The BIOS uses this information to configure the memory properly for maximum reliability and performance. If a memory module does not have SPD, the BIOS assumes the memory module's information. Which appears to be the case here.

To take this one step further, have any of you used WPCredit to tweak beyond BIOS settings

Back