• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on EXoX 8K5A2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kosmic

I'm planning a MOBO upgrade soon and have been eying the 8K5A2 as a good, affordable, overclockable MOBO.

Questions: Can a Thermalright AX7 fit on it? It looks a little crowded in there, I already have the AX7 and would like to keep it.

If the AX7 CAN fit, can a silver orb also fit on the northbridge next to it? (I'm probably pushing it on that one...)

I'll be running it with an ulocked XP1800+, one 512 meg stick of Corsair XMS PC3200 2-2-2, two hard drives (had 'em so long I forget their brand...), an Albatron GeForce 4 TI4200P 128MB, SB Live 5.1, NIC, cheap modem (it's only use is to send an occasional fax), above mentioned AX7, etc...

With the groovy 1/5 PCI divider, I'm hoping to be stable at 185 FSB (x10) and stay at 2-2-2 with my memory. I think that's pretty doable given the FSBs of 200+ that people have hit with EPoX.

If anybody knows of potential conflicts with what I wanna use with this board, please let me know SOON. :)

Thanks,
K1

yeah man it fits..i know cuz its what i use also
and with that ram u have it should be great
i have run my board up to 205Mhz fsb
to bad it wasnt all the way stable at that though
and when i get a couple of mounting parts from dangerden ill be puting 1 of there northbridge blocks on it too
i already know it fits

Cool, thanks Spoonman. That cinches it for me. I'm going to order the parts tonight from newegg & googlegear. I'll prolly skip the silver orb for the northbridge since it's already got a fan on it.

Much appreciated.

K1

Kosmic1 said:
Cool, thanks Spoonman. That cinches it for me. I'm going to order the parts tonight from newegg & googlegear. I'll prolly skip the silver orb for the northbridge since it's already got a fan on it.

Much appreciated.

K1

The AX-7 fits but its gonna take some patience to get those left clips on. The northbridge doesnt have a fan on it, theres only a passive heatsink on it. You shouldnt need a fan on the northbridge anyway since it doesnt seem to get hot or impair overclocks. Just be patient installing your heatsink.

AX7

yeah, be real careful installing on the AMD rig, that AX7 clip can be a b.tch.

much easier on the mind (and pocketbook) if installed on an Tually w/heat spreader, like CPU's from the old daze.

you will like the performance of the AX7, not quite as good as an Alpha8045 or MC462, but real close and probably won't make a spit of difference with the ultimate clock you land on.

good luck.

baldy:cool:

Thanks for the good info, all. I got the parts today and hooked it all up. That Albataron GF4 is HUUUUGE!! Right now I'm running at 10x180 no problems at all. I'm going to tweak the vid card a bit before upping my FSB any more right now. I must have messed up a setting somewhere in the nvidia advanced area, 'cause I only got 6250 (or something) points in PC mark 2001 after I upped my GF4 to 300/650. Something ain't right there.

K1

(p.s. will change the sig soon)

Back