• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

install problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SneakyD

Registered
When I try to install linux (Suse 8.1, redhat 7.3 and Mandrake 8.0)
I get up to the stage where it tries to format and mount the hdd and I get this error mesage:
Could not mount partition/dev/hda2 to/mnt/.
Has anyone any ideas what's happening or what I can do?

Specs are: XP2000+, Gigabyte GA-7VR motherboard, 256mb pc2100 ddr (possibly samsung, not sure), tnt2 video card, lite-on dvd and cdwriter and seagate hdd (80 gb, 7200, not sure of the model number).
Any ideas would be appreciated :)

hda2? Sounds a little strange. Usually I have hda1 as /boot and then 2 logical partitions hda5 & 6 for / and swap. hda2 means you have 2 primary partitions I think. But not sure, this could be the problem.

can you post the output of fdisk -l for us?

hda2 means you have 2 primary partitions I think..

Yes, that's what that means. Anything 5 and after is a logical partition.

It's not a problem if he is going to dual boot, and has windows on hda1. And actually, it wouldn't be a problem either if he set up the swap to be hda1, and / to be hda2.

So, SneakyD, are you dual booting with this machine?

And tell us how you are trying to set up the harddrive

I ran debug to completly remove all partion info, then double checked with fdisk to make sure the hdd was unpartitioned. Then I tried to let Suse 8.1 set up the partition automaticly. As I haven't a clue what way it should be done in linux.

Back