• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can someone tell me what does HZ on the refresh rate means ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The refresh rate at which the monitor "redraws" the screen it is measured in hz. Higher is better for your eyes.

hz = cycles/seconds

more hz meens more times your monitor will display what the video card is telling it to....that's why if your monitor refresh rate is 60hz you can't more then 60fps on you monitor....the reason people can see a difference between 60 and 100fps is because your monitor is good at displaying an image EVERY 1/60th of a second, a video card at 60fps might do 1 frame 1/100th of a second and then another in 7/300th's of a second to make an average of 60fps, and depending on the periods you monitor might see a frame, then the video card lags a tad and misses the monitors next cycle and the new rendered frame doesn't even get put up on screen.

so basicly more hz displays mroe images but most peoples eyes don't notice the difference between 60 and 72hz.

ATC9001 said:
...so basicly more hz displays mroe images but most peoples eyes don't notice the difference between 60 and 72hz.

I might be wrong but I thought most people can see their monitor flickering when run below 75Hz. Or at least, most will get a headache if they look at something at 60Hz after a while.

Tipycol

OK, thanks for your help guys .
By the way....my monitor currently running @ 75HZ ... is that ok/good ?

Yeah 75 is OK, I think anything from 75 and up is good, some people say 85 and up is good and some say they only like it if its set to 100 or above but I run mine at 75 and dont see any difference above that.

Back