• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good chiller coolant??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dualsingularity

Registered
hey guys I am in the process of building a cascade phase change. The only other part I need is the second compressor, anyways while i am searching for that my mind is going ahead and planning the next stage of my cooling system, I am looking to build a lexan enclosure to house the condensor this will be filled with "x" coolant being cooled by the second phase change. Now I saw some blue dye lite over at becooling so I want to do a fun little visual with this and a black light. I need to know what would be a good coolant that wont eat or cloud the lexan, I am thinking about isopropanol cuz I heard it can take -130 before it freezes but that is so far unsubstantiated.... any ideas??

I dont need anything that low, sence mines only going to be using one compressor with propane I will only need a coolant that will go down to maybe -40. Im still thinking about going with a evap block but we will see.

Ok first of all, waterchillers suck ***.If your going to the trouble of making a system, go direct die.But if you really want a water chiller, methanol is a nice choice for a coolant.

As for the dyelite, you wont be able to see the liquid since you will have to insulate.
I have built a couple cascade water chillers.
You can go ahead and contact me, I can give you some tips.

yes methanol is good isopropyl is also a good one for more extreme tempratures. water chillers can work fine if worked properly. yes no dyelite its a wast for a chiller unless its for your res and your going to do a double layer vaccume seal for insulation.

that is exactly what I want to do SSjwizard, its why i picked lexan cuz the stuff is indestructible. I have yet to aquire a vacuum pump, and I was also wondering about filling the space with an inert gas like argon or nitrogen it would have the same effect as a vacuum ....I think.:confused: any tips would rock here guys:) oh by the way is dyelite water based cuz that might cause problems but could also bee cool to see frozen crystals in the res I suppose.
Wizard do you think that say an inch of surrounding vacuum would be enough for insulation?? I am also thinking of perhaps insluating three sides a leaving the front open. And to finish my rambling late at nite does anyone know of a cheap source for lexan sheets??

dualsingularity said:
that is exactly what I want to do SSjwizard, its why i picked lexan cuz the stuff is indestructible. I have yet to aquire a vacuum pump, and I was also wondering about filling the space with an inert gas like argon or nitrogen it would have the same effect as a vacuum ....I think.:confused: any tips would rock here guys:) oh by the way is dyelite water based cuz that might cause problems but could also bee cool to see frozen crystals in the res I suppose.
Wizard do you think that say an inch of surrounding vacuum would be enough for insulation?? I am also thinking of perhaps insluating three sides a leaving the front open. And to finish my rambling late at nite does anyone know of a cheap source for lexan sheets??
Fillingit with a gas wont work.Vacuum insulation works because there is no fluid(air) to transfer heat.

Water chillers work ok, but not worth it if your going to the lengths to make a cascade system.It is just adding yet another medium to transfer heat and lose effeciency.

I have used both isopropyl and methanol.The isopropyl left oil, because it wasnt pure(only 70%).The methanol has a very low viscosity so it leaks places most water wont, bit expensive too.But it transfers heat much better than isopropyl.

aenigma said it right filling it with a gas is pointless. you can just use one of your extra compressors to vaccume out the lexan casing before you build your chiller its not that hard. build the lexan box and then you need to get a small piece of round lexan tod or tube if you go rod you have to drill it out. anyways epoxy the schrader valve inside of your lexan tube with atleast 1/4" of tube left from the top of the case let it vaccume till it gets down to a level thats acceptable to you then juse your torch to cut the leaxn and it will seal the hole up you now have a clear lexan insulated resivior

have you read my article on the topic???
its on the main page as the winner of last months prize at the moment.

thank you for the comment. i hope that helps expalin alot about how it all works for you guys.

Make this an engineering project. Start out with your requirements.
Then figure out how best to meet them within budget.

Water chillers have their place. In many situations they are the
cooling system of choice. A temp controlled water chiller can
give you flexibility. For instance, you could set it for 5-7 degrees C
below ambient and not worry about condensation depending
on the humidity. Depending on the processor you are OCing
this amount of cooling may get you 90% of that you could
achieve with -20 to -30 C extreme cooling.

If you can get 90% of the results with 10% of the work then
why not?

Back