• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WU times climbing, help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stryfe

I use Landshark's SetiQueue and I go check my WU times every once in a while. I've notice that my times have been getting slower over the last couple weeks. However if I reboot my machine they drop back to about where they should be. Then after a couple days they climb back up again. What ever the problem is it seems to be adding about 20-25 minutes to my times. Not horrible, but I'd really like to fix it.
So far I've a scanned for viruses and run ad-aware to remove any spyware. I did find some spyware, but my times haven't returned to normal. Any ideas guys?

Off of the top of my head, I would suggest a "memory leak". perhaps one or more of your daily used programs are reserving memory and not releasing it when closed. A program such as Cacheman (check it out HERE) would be useful in regaining this memory without having to reboot.

Good Luck!

FRANK

Cacheman has been running for about 2 hours now and nothing fishy has been happening with my memory useage so far. I'm really stuck for ideas on this one.
Could it be hardware?

Yeah I thought of that too.

Here's my result history on Landshark's Queue:
http://landshark.myftp.org:5517/history.htm?user=3580035

My machine usually completes a .417 AR WU in a little under 5 hours. The last .417 I got took 5:33.

I'm starting to think I should format, but I have a ton of stuff on here and it would be a realy pain to back it all up. Plus if it's a hardware thing formatting isn't going to help much.

Frank, it may be a memory leak after all.
When I reboot my machine memory usage is at about 30-35% with just a browser, SETI, and mIRC open. But after it's been running for a day or so it climbs to 60-65% with the same things open. Although I have played some games in between, they aren't still open.
Should my memory usage be so high even with 512mb?

I'm no expert on memory usage but I was just now playing around with Cacheman and my usage was at about 55%. This is on a Tyan 2460 with 256MB and two DURONs @1275 150MHz FSB running two instances of SETI. I went into the Task Manager and shut down all that I could and got it down to 37%. I restarted SETI Spy, SETI driver, SETI Pro and IE, it went back up to 53%. with SETI Spy / Driver being the biggest hogs.

I'm surprised that you haven't gotten any more responses from more knowledge members than me. Maybe a post in the Memory area would yield better results.

Good Luck!

FRANK

perhaps, you should check with the Takmanager, if you don't have an PROCESS of IE still running.
Most of the times, when I notice a slowdown on my PC, it is IE continuing to (it seems to happen mostly after having accessed websites which uses Flash or java applets).
If you are not browsing there should n't be any IE left

Back