• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the most speed a hard drive can take?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
After a bit of calculation, I have discovered that I am now running my pci bus at 42.5Mhz and will likely be going higher.

Soo...what's the most a hard drive can take and how much further can you take it if you have a big old fan blowing on it?

Krusty said:
After a bit of calculation, I have discovered that I am now running my pci bus at 42.5Mhz and will likely be going higher.

Soo...what's the most a hard drive can take and how much further can you take it if you have a big old fan blowing on it?

You are already in the danger zone, I heard Seagate barracuda drives are best for high PCI bus, Maxtor is also good

Re: Re: What's the most speed a hard drive can take?

toastedzergling said:

You are already in the danger zone, I heard Seagate barracuda drives are best for high PCI bus, Maxtor is also good

Would I be able to eliminate the chance of corruption if I turn the drive down to ata66?

I have been running my WD SE drive at that speed for a month or so now, no data corruption. That is about the limit of what any drive will do however. Also, adding a fan to the drive will do almost no (probably wont do any) good when it comes to FSB speeds, but it is a good idea to improve harddrive life.

Krusty said:

The hard drive dosen't go any faster. The IDE controller is what takes the hit. Running the PCI faster won't improve performance for the hard drive. The transfer capability of the controller is already much higher than the hard drive speed.
The only reason to run a higher PCI is if you have no choice because of overclocking. If this is the case then the controller is the only concern.

Re: Re: What's the most speed a hard drive can take?

64026402 said:

The only reason to run a higher PCI is if you have no choice because of overclocking. If this is the case then the controller is the only concern.

Of course. Overclocking is why I'm worried about my hard drive. My motherboard doesn't support a 1/5 pci divisor, but my cpu is willing to go up to 185fsb or so.

This kinda sucks. Now that I have a nice fast processor, I need to upgrade to a kt333 board and get myself some pc3200 memory.

Re: Re: Re: What's the most speed a hard drive can take?

Krusty said:

Of course. Overclocking is why I'm worried about my hard drive. My motherboard doesn't support a 1/5 pci divisor, but my cpu is willing to go up to 185fsb or so.

This kinda sucks. Now that I have a nice fast processor, I need to upgrade to a kt333 board and get myself some pc3200 memory.

I guess it's a good excuse for an upgrade. You could also try a seperate controller. See how fast it will go. Like a promise raid controller.

Back