• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue LED back light for Digital doc 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
I would like to do the blue LED back light mod for Digital Doc 5 has anyone done it for next to nothing the kits are over $20 and I know it is only 2 slim 90 degree LED’s (rounds don't seem to light well if I am wrong please correct me on it) that should be $2 or less each
I would like to find a kit for $10 or where to get the LED’s from cheap?
thanks,
stedeman

excerpt.jpg

LED mod

I did mine on the cheap with round LEDs. you're right in that they aren't directly the light with enough efficiency to make it very bright, but it is bright enough for me. I used the 2 brightest LED's I could find and wedged them in there. I even left the standard orange ones in place. One of my LED's is red and it shows up really well. The other is blue and it is much dimmer. So the overall effect is a backlit magenta screen.

I wouldn't reccomend trying this with 2 blue LED's, they would be too dim to light the whole area.

$3 each for LED's at Fry's. Cannabalized old fan molexes. A pack of resistors for less than a buck. Some solder and shrink wrap.

I did mine with the 90° leds and it's nice , but I did not try the rounded ones , I just search a dealer here in Europe and orderd them

a lot better then the orange ones

I tried to do this mod a month ago, I burned up the lcd :(, now im on my second digital doc 5, with the orange backlight :( (man i suck at soldering) I suggest doing this only if you have some experience with soldering

that is great advice as you need to desolder you orange once and you have the clear the whole hole where the connection pins are ( there are tools for that )

if you let it get to hot , bye bye digidoc

Back