• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Progress of HTPC/LAN rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

Well here are the makings of my HTPC/Lan rig. Specs are AMD T-bird 1.4, 512mb of SDRAM, Matxor 60gig, Segate 2gig, Slim DVD, and either a radeon 7000 or Geforce 4 MX420.

Lan3.JPG

Here is the case with my custom HDD mount. The Maxtor goes underneath and the Segate on top.

Lan4.JPG

DVD Window

Lan1.jpg

HDD Window

Lan2.JPG

Kaneda, in the classifides. Its an IBM netvista. look on Ebay.

Im trying I have been working on it for 3 days now and thats as far as I have gotten. im still trying to figure out the PSU thing. Im thinking of externally mounted. I would need some 40 pin 9give or take few pins) male/female connectors if anyone knows where to get those.

The easiest way to do an external PSU is to buy an ATX extension cable and cut a port in the back of the case for it. That's what I did for my first LAN RIG and it allowed me to use different power supplies without having to modify the case when I needed to swap.

But there are TFX12V options available that wil work fin inside your case. I'm almost done with my new LAN rig, I'm just adding the finishing touches here and there.

Don't worry I will. I plan a window mod and I just made a faux wood cover for the front reducing 2" off the origonal design of the case. Paint and a PSU and I am basically done. All I am waiting for is a video card and I can then install all of the components.

Here's a helpful hint...

NO MATTER WHAT, NEVER PUT A SPEAKER IN YOUR CASE.

I put the rewired speaker from MY netvista case into my new Slim box and after using it for 2 days it ruined my Laptop CD-ROM (Arrrrrg!). Tooke me a good 5 hours to figure out that that was the only problem. It was messing up all the tranfers from the CD-ROM drive.

Now I get to build a custom shell for the aggravating speaker. :mad:

Phew, it recovered. But my CPU is 3D incapable (I think that's because it's chipped) and I'm going to have to work a trade with somebody.

Back