• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

internet troubles, help me out guys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

customers computer just will not connect to the internet. they ahve DSL and i have cable over here. same ISP as me, and i also use the same modem they use, go figure, so i hook her up over here at my house, and its doing the same thing. :(

basically nothing goes out, no internet, i cant even ping websites so know somethings wrong. i figured the HP nic (its an HP machine, bout 2 years old) died, so i through in a spare netgear card, no good, same thing.

next thing i like to try is clearing out all the **** on their machines, spyware, viruses, and the like.. they had 253 spyware components.. nice eh? anyway, still no go.

so i'm remembering a couple years ago when i had some trouble (with my old dialup acct.) and some winsock file. now they are on DSL, and using 98, so maybe this file doesnt matter, i'm just trying to figure out some options here.

oh and i tried repairing IE 5.5, and using opera, still no go. just keeps giving me page not able to be displayed errors, and whatnot... all her settings in IE look fine, same with the NIC, both the HP and my new one that i replaced it with for troubleshooting.

oh, also i've got lights on the card, and my router, so i know the cards good.. any ideas guys?

Time for the process I used as a mantra, if you aint sure, do this:

Rip out communications, in add/remove programs windows components tab, after uninstalling any relevant hardware (like the modem, nic) and put it all back in, and also try the winsock file...

well, i didnt think they were either, so i went back and looked, and they indeed have cable like me, so i dont know what i was smoking. but yes, they have cable. also i've reinstalled the drivers 100 times.. also tried the other new nic from mine, no go... i'll try that communications thing next..

no go.. still doesnt work, i dont understand.. all the settings look fine.. the old NIC, and this new one seem to be working fine.. all my other computers are working fine.. cept this ladies here.. hm.. i'm doing a full virus check now.. only other thing i can think of is a clean windows install :(

Back