• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why the nforce2 will be what saves amd....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

currently as i see it the nforce 2 will have all of the options as the KT333 boards w/ the exceptions of two important ones.... the option to set your pci/agp speed (no more need for divisors cause you can manually set everything you want to) and the option to set how fast you want your memory to be running at.

these two options, if used w/ a unlocked palomino or a tbred (which come factory unlocked), will provide for absolutle CRAZY fsb speeds..... here is what i plan on doing once the Epox 8rga, which has a maximum FSB of a whopping 333mhz! (not 333mhz ddr bu actual 333mhz).... btw i was planning on getting the Abit board but no mobo holes= no good for H20

drop the mult to 7x the fsb to 250mhz=1750mhz (i have a 1600+)
set the pci/agp speed to 33/66mhz locked
now drop the ram to make it running at 75% or 188mhz only! (that is about as high as my Cas 2.5 XMS 3200 will do)...

by doint this you are essentially doing the same things that you can do on a Pentium 4 cpu and the memory will take full advantage of the cpu bandwith for some killer scores..

aww man a nforce 2 w/ a 2600+,water cooling (or even better phasechange or tec), and Corsair 3500 Cas2 memory is a pentium 4 3ghz+ Cpu destroyer!!!!!! lets not forget that nv30 also:beer:

those are just my .2cents on the board after reading a few reviews (the leadtek and asus one, which unfortunatly only will support up to a measly 200mhzfsb)..

i will be first inline to get the epox board!!!! unless it is incredibly expensive that is.... oh ya lets not forget that nvidia audio which can smoke creatives any day!

I agree if they pull that off it will be an overclockers dream! However, I dont think it will be that simple. I honestly hope that the boards can do that, but I think they'll be small naggy problems that will hold it back from being awesome. I still think it'll beet out the KT400 in top dog spot...but i'm just not sure about it being the thing that puts AMD back on top, hammer will have to do that.

Don't forget Dual DDR or 128bit DDR bus, put in 2 sticks of memory and you got an awesome bandwidth that's just waiting to get used! I also think that even if it has problems at first, they will be resolved in later revisions and the board will be AWESOME. I mean using these crazy FSBs + 2 sticks of RAM AMD will finally be able to beat Intel's RDRAM systems in memory bandwidth/speed

ive got the ram u dream of.... just missing everything else lol.... i might buy and nforce 2... ASUS A7n8x..... itll be a nice adition to mty 2400+, pc 3500 cas 2 xms ram, and radeon 9700 pro.... a the joys of being @ 200 fsb without worrying about pci/agp/ide corruption

dont get the Asus one that only goes to 200mhz fsb! there is no point of getting a nforce if you are only gonna be doing that.

the abit will goto 237mhz and the epox 333mhz

But how does the nforce2 use the dual DDR? Doesn't one of the banks go to the embedded video controller? That's what I've read, which admittedly hasn't been much. I'm still in the dark about some of the nforce2's features.

well ill admit if its as u state when it comes out,the epox would be a viable upgrade for me.the fsb at 333 would be insane!
now only if the cpu can do it is another story.

i would think tho to get that high a fsb you would need real good northbridge cooling... especially since epox stupidly uses a passive cooled sink now, at the minimum you would need to add a 40-60mm fan over it or watercool it.

i heard on the KT333 and KT400 epox the northbridge is burning hot at over 200fsb

Only time will tell... But I hope you're right. :) It'll be interesting to see how the northbridge on the epox nforce board heats up over 200fsb. The northbridge on mine does run warm at 200fsb, but so far, I've been totally stable with every test I've thrown at it at the speeds in my sig.

K1

You are forgetting that Northwood will also have dual ddr motherbaords this month.

One from Intel and the other from SIS.

It will really be interesting to see how the NOrthwood 3.06Ghz will perform with Dual DDR.

Well don't get me wrong.

I have an AthlonXP 2400+ at 2.38Ghz now and also a Northwood 2.4Ghz at 3.15Ghz. The Northwood system performs better than the AthlonXP 2400 and it is even cheaper.

Granted that the Northwood 3.06Ghz will be very expensive but I will surely get it and hope that it will overclock to 3.4Ghz ot 3.5Ghz and performs well with a Dual DDR system that I plan to build this month.

Man competition rules. I just hope that the nForce 2 will be all that we are hoping it will be. I have one on order.

My System

Hey I use a KT400, and I was running my system at 14x140, 1960 Mhz, 280 fsb. on PcPitStop my ram scored 4981 MB/S per sec, which is about 500 MORE than BEFORE i oC'ed it (13.5x133), and only 500 less than the score of 1 gig of RDRAm, either 800/1062 mhz. My processor more than doubled the speed score of a pentium 4 2 ghz, at 3k, mine was about 6100-6200 or so. My ram said (209% of similar users), meaning my ram was 209% the speed of others using the same ram I was, over double its original speed. I was running at about 80-85% stability, probably won't run well w/ a stock HSF eh?

Kosmic: You have the KT400 correct? I have the AsusTek V7x8 or some ****, V8x7 KT400 using w/ AMD Athlon 2200 XP, 1.8ghz, 512 Corsair PC3200 RAM (400 FSB Mhz), and it's inside of a server chassis used as a workstation. Can you tell me exactly what kind of cooling you use, and the best ingredients to overclock the multiplyer/fsb? Also, is it better to manually select the RAM Mhz Frequency (to 400 out of 266-pc2100/333-pc2700/400-pc3200) instead of Auto? When I change around the multiplyer or FSB manually it changes that option to below 400, why is that?

Does your computer use DDR 400 at its full potential or must you increase the FSB in order to substantially increase the bandwidth performance?

BTW fellas, this board maxes FSB out at about 266. -.-

Emericana said:
i especially since epox stupidly uses a passive cooled sink now, at the minimum you would need to add a 40-60mm fan over it or watercool it.B]

So...ahhhh...hmmm I think your hand smells like crap since you just pulled that outa your arse.

I don't meen to flame but I hate it when someone states something like that and doesn't even bother to say IMO...and even if they did they have no real basis for it.

It's like people say...oh this/that video card sucks it doesn't have RAM sinks.....

The NB doesn't neccesarily need much cooling of any sort. My KT333 chipset came with thermal tape and was warped (actual chipset, not heatsink) to such an extent I had to put gobs of epoxy on for it to fill the depression.

Anyway my point is unless you've tested one of these things and were to apply more cooling and see if it would increase your OC, then you shouldn't state anything really.

so who's going to be the sacrificial lamb that buys the first round nforce2's and reports findings here. That was me with the kt333's last spring. I'm getting an nf2 board, the question is just who gives the highest vcore, and confirmed locked PCI/AGP bus, and MAYBE some RAID would be nice

KT400 has RAID and SERIAL ATA and Gigabit LAN, all onboard ****.

It's better to run 512 2700 than it is to run 2 sticks of 256.

as long as they are not over $120 i will be the sacraficial lamb i was w/ the KT333's at least :)

i had the 8k3a when that came out and i hated it and then a few days after the kx7 was released i got that and am still using it and LOVE it

ASUS nForce2 is already out. Its $279 Canadian without the IGP and $329 with the IGP. The only thing it is missing is the Rocket RAID 404 Controller card. If you add that puppy to the A7N8X along with three sticks of XMS3500, You'd have one of the fastest AMD systems on the planet, as long as you throw in a T-bred B :)

OC-Master

no, the asus is not the fastest because it can only do 200fsb. boards like the KX7 and 8k9a2+ can do well over that and are therefore much faster. true, 190fsb on the asus is faster than 190fsb on the kx7 but you wanna put all factors into account.

230fsb on a KT333/KT400 will beat 200fsb on a nfroce 2 any day

Back