• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blow or suck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OnDborder

I have just received a Swiftech MC-370 with the Delta fan. Is the direction of the fan supposed to be towards or away from heatsink?
Thanks

OnDborder (Jun 22, 2001 12:12 a.m.):
I have just received a Swiftech MC-370 with the Delta fan. Is the direction of the fan supposed to be towards or away from heatsink?
Thanks

blows down on the heatsink to dissapate heat from the heatsink, hope it helps.

it depends. if i set mine to blow onto the heatsink, my cpu would melt because i would be pulling in the heat from my hard drives and ram. i have my delta sucking heat away.

Just make sure you have proper casing ventilation -otherwise it won't matter whether you suck or blow or how big *** a HSF is.

cjtune (Jun 22, 2001 01:11 p.m.):
Just make sure you have proper casing ventilation -otherwise it won't matter whether you suck or blow or how big *** a HSF is.

cjtune is right. It depends on your case and the airflow through it. Try both. Keep a close eye on the temps. Just compare idle and load. I am using twin fans blowing on my HS and at full load it won't get over 39C. It drops back to 26 within seconds after the load is removed. This worked best for my setup.

Let us know how it goes.....

As long as you have good ventilation, you want to blow down on the heatsink. If the fan is sucking, it's gonna grab air from where it takes the least amount of effort, and unfortunately this tactic will draw nearly NO air accross the center of the heatsink! Hopefully you can see why this is bad, seeing as that's where most of the heat will be. Now, This isn't the case for some heatsinks(alpha's come to mind). If the fan is blowing from the side, and has a shroud, then sucking or blowing, it shouldn't matter. But as long as you're blowing down directly onto the core, blowing is your best bet.

Back