• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have P4 2.4 and 9700 pro...3dmark of only 13000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlo56

I have a Dell P4 2.4 ghz with 400 mhz Fsb
512 mb PC800 RDRAM
Ati 9700 Pro (no o.c.)
40 gb maxtor HD
250w mean PSU with 345w max output (dell proprietory)
Win XP Pro

I've used 3dmark2001se several times, and highest i've gotten is a little over 13000. Would this be about the right number?
I know Dell mobo suck a$$ and cant overclock, but could i get any higher? (I plan on reformatting harddrive for clean install of windows XP..would that help?)

How about better cooling for my 9700 pro or CPU? would that help increase my 3dmark?

overclock the video. thats really your only option at this point since the rest of your computer is locked down.

better cooling would certainly help overclock your 9700 more but its not necessary in order to overclock.my chip is overclocked about 20% and my memory slightly less than 20% with stock cooling.

oh and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS :D

about right

The 100/400MHz fsb really hurts P4 performance. Your rig is performing at it's potential. RDRAM minizes the effect, but the low fsb is limiting your results. As you know this is still a fast system though, so it's not really that big of a deal beyond bragging rights.

Acck don't mess with your radeon 9700 unless you know exactly what your doing!I can not stress this enough it is no simple task to remove the heat sink.You will be able to get a bit out of the stock cooling but not much.

I have a Dell

That's your problem.

I could not agree more. Also look at your hard disk real world transfer speed, and your real world memory speed. (use sisoft sandra benchmarks or some other such benchmark)

but for the most part, pre builts are barely computers.

Open your Dell and finr the PLL clock chip, then see if CPUFSB or one of those type of programs supports it. Try to overclock that way. Make sure you have enough cooling as if you try to run your P4 faster without enough cooling and it's temp rises too much, you will get throttling down by the chip and lose performance.

Re: about right

larva said:
The 100/400MHz fsb really hurts P4 performance. Your rig is performing at it's potential. RDRAM minizes the effect, but the low fsb is limiting your results. As you know this is still a fast system though, so it's not really that big of a deal beyond bragging rights.

agreed

That's more than enough to play any game you could want. Not worth messing with a Dell IMO.

Back