• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Asus mobo is best for Overclocking an AMD 2800+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I'm slighty new to overclocking and am planning on building a AMD 2800+ based system and was wondering which motherboard has in the past has been the best performer for overclockable friendliness and stability?
Value is also a major priority becasue I'm dealing with a limited budget.
Thanks!

That would be either the A7V8X (VIA KT400 chipset) or the A7N8X (NForce 2 chipset). The A7N8X can keep your PCI and AGP buss at 33/66 MHz no matter what FSB you set, and they can both control the multi without unlocking the chip. Next in line would be the A7V333 (VIA KT333 chipset) which is a great board and can be had for much less than the two previous boards I mentioned. I'm not sure if this board will allow multi adjusment without unlocking, though.

Thanks Fever
Since I can find all the three of the boards you mentioned on pricewatch for only about $20 difference right now, from those three, I would probably go for the A7V8X if I were to continue with the 2800+ system.
Thank you again for your help

Also, would you buy the Althon XP or simply wait for the Hammer to be released?

No prob. :) Depends what's in your system now.. If you have an Athlon XP 1600 or over you might be able to wait out for Hammer, but that's still a long ways off. If there's only a $20 difference though, go with the A7N8X. It's much better for overclocking due to the locked PCI/AGP bus. Also, you can clock your RAM at almost whatever you want.. For example, let's say you're trying to run at 230FSB, but your RAM can't handle it. There's a setting where you can decrease the RAM's speed until it's stable, but still keep your FSB at 230. OR... If you can only get your FSB to lets say 180, but you know your RAM can handle 230, you can increase the RAM's speed without affecting the CPU's speed. It's a board packed with features.. I want one really bad. :D If you do go with the A7N8X, there's 2 versions I believe. One with an integrated video card (GeForce 4 MX) and one without. I'd suggest getting the board without, since a GeForce 4 MX is crap and it'll cost you less. :beer:

Let me know what you decide to get. I'm out for the night. G'night 00110111!

Right now, I really need to upgrade/get rid of my old Dell Demension L400c, which I'm running now. The only reason I havn't sooner is that being only 16, my parents have the final say on whether or not they can justify me spending almost $1000 on a new PC.

What I wish to build is a system with the following specs:
Athlon XP 2800+ OC'ed as fast as possible without losing stability
Asus A7N8X (thanx for the insight on this decision)
1 GB DDR333 Ram
80 GB 7200 RPM HD
GeForce 4 Ti 4600
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
All Dual Booted with Linux and Windows XP Professional

I still am wondering on what wattage of power supply to use and what kind of cooling would best work for this system.
Please also let me know if this even sounds worthwhile and if not, what you would use instead of the componants above.

Thanks in advance!

With that board and wanting to overclock I would use the Corsair XMS memory PC 3200 at least. Cooling probably an AX-7 with a smartfan 2. For Power I would use Antec 400W or more.

Thanks, but since, i'm on a budget, and I could but one gig of DDR333 for the same as 256 MB Corsair XMS PC3200, i am just wondering how much of a performance increase would this give me and would in the end it justify spending that much more?
Thanks

Depends on how high of an overclock you want. PC 3200 has more legroom to overclock. The PC-2700 will limit you much sooner. Also why so much RAM? Even with XP 512 is plenty for most applications. From an overclocking perspective one stick of RAM is generaly better. So I would go with the fastest 512 mb stick I could get at least PC 2700.

00110111 said:
Right now, I really need to upgrade/get rid of my old Dell Demension L400c, which I'm running now. The only reason I havn't sooner is that being only 16, my parents have the final say on whether or not they can justify me spending almost $1000 on a new PC.

What I wish to build is a system with the following specs:
Athlon XP 2800+ OC'ed as fast as possible without losing stability
Asus A7N8X (thanx for the insight on this decision)
1 GB DDR333 Ram
80 GB 7200 RPM HD
GeForce 4 Ti 4600
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
All Dual Booted with Linux and Windows XP Professional

I still am wondering on what wattage of power supply to use and what kind of cooling would best work for this system.
Please also let me know if this even sounds worthwhile and if not, what you would use instead of the componants above.

Thanks in advance!

Cool, I'm only 17 myself. :) If I were you, I'd get 512 MB of Corsair PC 3000 or PC3200. One stick will give you better OCing results, and if you buy generic RAM you'll regret it when you try to OC. How much are you paying for that 4600? Last time I checked it was only about $60 less than an ATi Radeon 9700. IF you can afford a 9700, get that. It owns any card on the market right now. I use a 300 watt Antec PSU. It's not really the watts that count. It's more important to have a quality PSU, such as an Antec. You could have a 600 watt generic PSU that can't perform half as decent as a 300 watt quality PSU. For PSUs stick with Antec or Enermax. Everything else sounds great! :) You'll have a beast when you put this thing together. :D

I think that asus based on via kt400, because this mobo has over voltage funkcion, it means that you can set vcore almost 2,0V

well if you do want asus i dont see any differance in the a7v8x and the a7v333.performance wise.upgradability mabey since it had 8x agp but at the moment is a almost useless feature.

get the A7n its gonne do much more than both above mentned boards.and if u think asus is expensive dont look at abit!

Well if you are planning to get the A7N8X board, you should get 2 sticks of whatever ram you are planning to buy. Whether it is 2xCorsair XMS 3200 or 2x512 gerneric company, you will at least be able to access the Dual Channel DDR. You will just see much better results from teh Corsair than you would from the generic.

I think the stability of the Asus A7V8X is a few notches above the A7V333. Haveing both boards I have noticed higher stable clocks while using the same chip. Given the still high prices of the A7V333 I dont really see the major benefits of saveing a few bucks and not getting the A7V8X. Im just curious to see the results in overclock A7V8X vs the nvidia chipset in the A7N8X

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, but this brings me to a slightly different question, how much of a noticable performace difference would there be if I were to use the Athlon XP 2600+, for I can build the entire sytem with the Asus A7N8X, Athlon XP 2600+, Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM, 80 gig hd, Geforce 4 Ti 4600 with 128 MB VRAM, Sound Blaster Platinum, and the 300 watt Antec PSU for a total of $998.77 online. The reason I'd stay with the nVidea is because I found it for $212 while the ATi 9700 Pro is $302.
Thanks agian

I dunno about the Ti4600, but I don't think you'd need a 2800+, they are supposed to be nearing the top of the core's frequency anyway. Still, if you are getting the nForce 2 board A7N8X, you should get 2x256MB Corsair XMS 3200, not one stick of 512MB. That way, you'll be able to use Dual Channel DDR and that will really help your memory performance. If you don't do this, there's not much difference between the A7V8X and A7N8X.

Back