• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rasing AGP voltage...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

proze

Hey peeps.

My GA-7VAX has an AGP voltage option. Never had a board with this before, so I was wondering about it. Does raising it only raise the voltage to the GPU, or to the video mem as well? Cos my R8500 is flaky over 285Mhz, so I need more juice to the mem.

Ta,
proze:)

Video cards have voltage regulating mosfets on them so if you feed the card 1.8V it will still only use 1.5V. I think the main reason for having the AGP voltage setting is for people with weak power supplies so that if their PSU is only giving the card 1.4V and its causing problems you can bump up the voltage to make sure it will be getting the 1.5V it needs.

Raising it shouldnt hurt especially if you only go to 1.6 or 1.7, I doubt it will help your overclock but its worth a shot. The only way to get more voltage to the RAM or core is to Vmod the card and I'd reccomend against it.

For some reason, when I rased my agp voltage to 1.6 it dramatically lowered my vid card overclock. Play around with it- but it might not help out at all.

Thanks for the replies... just noticed that I spelt "raised" like a ****... d'oh! :p

Back