• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Remote Connection w/router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beezee

I was just wondering if there's a way to use the remote connection feature of winxp and logon to a comp on a home network that's using a router w/ "built-in," firewall?
I'm thinking no because of the firewall... I just want to be sure, just in case there IS infact a way.
If there is a way, can someone please post it here? Thanks in advance! :)

Yes and no. For it to work one of the firewall/routers must have Plug and Play NAT. Connection sharing I belive is just like everything else Microsoft is screwing up lately and does port hopping in the middle of the connection making PnP NAT a necessity.

Bad part is, if it don't say Cisco on it, chances are it don't do PnP NAT.

I maybe wrong. Check www.microsoft.com/technet and see if there are any port listings for remote connectoin. If there is, than all that needs to happen is for the remote computer to have that port open and mapped to the internal IP address of the computer you want to connect to. You will connect to his external IP addy.

Back