• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!

• Thread starter Dragon_Engineer2
  • Start date
Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
D

Dragon_Engineer2

I can't beleave this!My A7V8X came into today and I was so happy.However I could not get it to over clock at all with the stock bios so I updated to the latest one on asus's site(not beta).Everything seemed ok except even when I set the over volt jumper I still dont have access to anything above 1.85.I can not get over 333fsb or use the 14x multi.
I'm also getting strange reading in the bios from my psu's fan.Says the fan is running at 5800rpms,8000,and 18000!Somthing tells me that isnt right.Also my Vcore is at 1.84,3.3 at 3.23,5 at 4.89,and the 12 at 12.30.I was able use the 13x mulit and a fsb of 333mhz with a vcore of 1.85 and default mem volt on my Dragon KT400.

Well I found that when I run at 1.85 the motherboard says CPU Voltage out of range.The manual says"Check power supply and make sure it is not defective.Currently it looks like my psu is the main issue.I have new psu coming in from pc power and cooling so I hope this fixes my unstable over clocks.
However this does not explain why no matter what postion my over volt jumper is set to I can not access anything above 1.85.

Well I give up!I was going to just leave the board on default settings but I can't even play games stable!I get strange red artifacts while playing half life even if I clock my gpu back to stock speed.
I'm using my dragon now and everything seems to be stable.No more red crap even with my gpu at 380.

Same chipset but I'll probally end up reloading and giving the asus another shot.However I'm really peaved that the over volt jumper seems to do nothing.

Ive seen a lot of people have troubles regarding what fever said. Lot of people just swap the HD over. Out of the box with the stock bios I could hit the highest clock I could achieve with all multipliers unlocked on the XP2200.

Well I plan to reload but does any one know why my over volt does not work?

I have not tried this yet with my A7V8X, but with my A7V333, moving the jumper to the overvoltage pin added a positive offset of something like .4v to what I specified in the Bios. The jumper did not give my a wider range to choose from, it just boosted what I specified by .4v. So, specifying 1.85V would yield 2.25V. I assume you have checked the core voltage with an actual voltmeter to see what you were getting? Not just assuming you were only getting 1.85V...

In form, that jumper adds some resistance to the voltage regulator feedback circuitry to induce a positive offset, just like the core voltage mods we used to solder in on the HIP chip. It does not set a digital bit on some register like many of the other flea-clip jumpers do. It is an analog function. As such, adding a 500K ohm linear-taper potentiometer across the overvoltage jumper pins, instead of a dead short, will allow you to continuously vary the core voltage from the front panel of your PC, without having to invoke the bios to do so.

John "Hoot" Hill

I don't have a voltmeter still need to buy one.I could only go on what the mother board bios said it was and what asus probe said the vcore was at.
Also if and when I have the money for a voltmeter were would I touch the positive and negative ends to get a reading?

Put your negative probe anywhere on bare metal on the case and reference the attached picture for where to read what.

Hoot

a7v8x5v.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Hoot I'll probally pick up a voltmeter next week.

Glad to help. Among their bag of tricks, every overclocker should have a rudimentary multimeter. One with DC/AC volts, Resistance and DC/AC current. They have gotten downright cheap nowadays with reasonable units available for $10-15. For only a few dollars more, you can get one that reads a type K thermocouple wire for highly accurate spot-metering of temperature.

Good Luck

Hoot

Back