• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artifacts, how to detect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just look for them. Miscolored polygons, speckles, blotches (usually white or yellow) are all common artifacts. Severe artifacts could include complete screen corruption (lines accross teh screen, or a just plain garbled picture. That i know of there are no programs to test for this. Artifacts are visual imperfections, so if something doesnt look right back it off abit. Also artifacting is usually (not always, but usually) caused by too much memory overclock, rather than too much core overclock.

spazzkid said:
visual artifacts are graphic imperfections brought about by unstable overclocking.

OMG, you must be a living overclocking dictionary! :eek:

You can try Artifact Tester, someone gave a link for it last week and I tried it out. Seems OK, it does a test but doesnt display anything and if it detects artifacts it will let you know. You can also run a software artifact tester which will display some stuff and they reccomend you try both before raising your OC more. It also has a CPU stability test which dispalys a bunch of trippy images.

That sounds like what you are looking for but I dont know how well it really works, I always get 0 artifacts but Ive only run the test at stable settings.

think about it, you would be able to test your card for artifacts without having to run your system through tons of tests over and over to see if it is stable

looking for artifacts that the eye cannot see is taking "tweaking" too far!

I don't think so. An artifact is caused by a logic gate or memory cell misfunction, caused either by too much overclocking or any other cause (bad chip,...). The fact that you can not see it does not warrantee that the next time you won't be able to see it, or that it may cause bigger side effects to your PC or graphics card...

So you better see it, or use a program to detect those. To me a system that generates artifacts is a potentially not stable system... This is why besides looking for them, I use artifact tester and always downclock the card a bit after finding what I think is my 'best stable overclock'.

Just my .05 cents
Regards
FTC

Back