• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enabling AGP 8x w/GF4 AGP 4x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clarpet

Okay.....here's my issue: with all the talk about the new GF4's w/AGP x8, (and no I have not been stupid enough to waste money for techology hardly being used :D) ...I'm wondering:

Is it possible to unlock the ability to use AGP x8 in the GF4 w/x4?
The reason I ask is that a lot of sites have written comments suggesting that the GeForce 4 may have had AGP 8x since it went into production, but it just wasn't enabled.

Anyone have any idea on this?

No option. Cards are made didnt. 8x, they use a didnt voltage setup too *i think*. But you can only go down like 4x to 2x to 1x, not up.

Dissolved said:
No option. Cards are made didnt. 8x, they use a didnt voltage setup too *i think*. But you can only go down like 4x to 2x to 1x, not up.

Okay...um that's a little confusing...anyway..anyone else w/a clearer explanation

AGP 8X uses a different spec than the previous versions. THe new version is 3.0
It's not possible to make the 2.0 (AGP 2X and 4X) spec card into 3.0 specs due to different voltage requirements and other stuff as well.

rdytorave said:
AGP 8X uses a different spec than the previous versions. THe new version is 3.0
It's not possible to make the 2.0 (AGP 2X and 4X) spec card into 3.0 specs due to different voltage requirements and other stuff as well.

Right...but what you guys are still missing here is: SUPPOSEDLY, the GeForce 4 cards already had AGP 8x ****BUILT IN****, it simply wasn't enabled, like the L2 cache in and AMD processor (L2 right? or L1? whateva, you know what I mean).... anyone with any specific GeForce4 knowledge that can answer this??

Clarpet said:

Right...but what you guys are still missing here is: SUPPOSEDLY, the GeForce 4 cards already had AGP 8x ****BUILT IN****, it simply wasn't enabled, like the L2 cache in and AMD processor (L2 right? or L1? whateva, you know what I mean).... anyone with any specific GeForce4 knowledge that can answer this??

Why do you think its "SUPPOSEDLY BUILT IN" ? ive READ nothing of this anywhere.

Back