• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PLS Help! HD stuck in PIO mode!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heat

I checked the BIOS and Ultra DMA is enabled for the primary IDE channel which the HD is on as Master. This is a 133ATA maxtor 7200 HD. I checked the device manager and checked the IDE channel controllers, and its set to enable DMA when avl. DMA is on for the DVD and CD burner on the secondary channel. OS is W2k. I'm sure its something easy to fix, I just want to fix this w/o booting up to get to the BIOS so often.

only time i've had a problem with that is with via chipsets. when i've installed the newer 4-in-1's for some reason it insists on turning off dma on both channels. what i do is just install 4-in-1's without the ide controller.

Dang! That's right on the money!I haveb't installed the 4 in 1s yet. Pease tell me how to do this to get DMA!

BTW, DMA works for the secondary channel w/ the DVD/CDRW. Its the primary channel that won't enable DMA.

Do I do this by disabling the Primary IDE channel and then install the 4in1s? Should I disable them in the bIOS as well?

Edit: Okay, I couldn't wait any longer and went ahead and installed the 4 in 1s. Same thing. I guess I need to reinstall them. :(

As for the IDE controllers, should I actially uninstall them before reinstalling the drivers?

Last edited:
Thank You guys for the above link and info

Thanks you guys/gals for the link and info on the PIO mode> I have been searching for a couple of weeks for info on this subject, including other message boards. When I get home from work, I hope this works. I have tried deleting the ATA/ATAPI controller but not actually the Primary and Secondry IDE drivers. thanks again. Ricky:D :D :D

Back