• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Descisions, Descicions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peter-griffin

Registered
Decisions, decisions.

How good is the p4 2.8ghz Northwood model? Better, perhaps, than dualing AMD MP 2200+ on a MSI K7D Master-L (MS-6501-030) AMD760MPX Dual Athlon 266MHz ATX MOTHERBOARD?

If the 2.8ghz P4 is any good, what is the best motherboard for it under $240?

Help me out here.

Points to look at are stability, clock speed (I DO NOT UNDERSTAND FSB SO EXPLAIN IT), overclock capability and bang for the buck (both motherboard and processor for all points aforementioned).

Thanks for the help!!

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND FSB SO EXPLAIN IT
"FSB" = Front Side Bus.
Intel CPUs have a "multiplier", which is locked at a specific number. Let's say you have a 1.8a or 2.4b chip, where both have a multiplier of 18. The 1.8a uses an FSB of 100 for 1800MHz/1.8GHz, while the 2.4b uses and FSB of 133 for 2400MHz/2.4GHz. If you OC the 2.4b using an FSB of 150 (18x150), it would be running at 2700MHz/2.7GHz. :)

As for the question of dual AMD vs P4, that's already been adequately addressed in another thread you started. ;)

Back