• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New nForce2 Stepping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

There is reports on some news groups that nVidia has already putting out a new nForce2 stepping. Basically, the new stepping is tuned for overclockers and is much more stable than the original revision.

One guy said that the original stepping had the FSB maxed at around 450MHz where as the newer stepping can bring FSB speeds as high as 500MHz.

There is now also reports that several motherboard companies have decided to hold of on the first stepping and rather wait for the second stepping CPU to emerge.

This new revision is expected to become available as early as January next year!

'Hmm, At 500MHz+ Bus speeds, could we see Intel P4 FSBs soon?. Too bad only the Corsiar PC3500 Platinum can handle FSB speeds behond 500MHz and that stick of memory will cost you an arm and a leg.

OC-Master

Thanks for the update. I think I'll wait for the new stepping instead of grabbing an nforce2 now. Could you run the 500mhz FSB and just set the memory to operate at say, 50% of that speed in the bios of nforce2? I think I saw the option for that in one of the nforce2 board reviews I read.

Of course, CPU multiplier of 4 or so would be needed to run the fsb that high.

Yah im in no rush to get my parts ill just wait for that new stepping...

toastedzergling said:
Is it possible to run memory slower than FSB?, so we can get godly bandwidth using cheap memory?

Yes!

You can run your memory as low as 50% the speed of the FSB only. Technically, the good thing about Twin bank memory architecture means that you can have two slow memory sticks (PC2100 or PC1600) and still get bleeding edge performance with high 400MHz+ FSB speeds.

Two PC1600 sticks would allow for full 400MHz Bandwidth throughput.

OC-Master

OC-Master who are those pictures of in your profile, cause holy crap she is hot!!!

Damn OC-Master...everytime i want to see if anything is new on the nforce2 i just look for your name... lole

the legend of zelda

only thing is...these NForce2 steppings will probably come out AFTER the release of the hammer or opteron or whatever they will be named comes out. the NForce2 will still use a dying breed of processor as soon (hopefully) all AMD processors will be 64bit

I don't really agree with that last comment. Amd is going to be lucky to be in buisness by the time they get clawhammer out. I'd bet we don't see any signs of clawhammer or opteron till at least second half of 2003. this new stepping sounds good to me. however I must adfd i just want to see a nforce 2 board out somewhere. nvidia is starting to remind me of amd.

Hey OCMASTER, how about some links? I see you posting a lot of insider info but never really see any proof to back it? Did someone tell you this info? Stepping on a mobo, you mean new revision?

the chaintech and asus boards don't look well laid out. Hopefully ABIT will be more considerate with placement of their capacitors and PSU on-board connector.

h0mersimps0n said:
Hey OCMASTER, how about some links? I see you posting a lot of insider info but never really see any proof to back it? Did someone tell you this info? Stepping on a mobo, you mean new revision?

the chaintech and asus boards don't look well laid out. Hopefully ABIT will be more considerate with placement of their capacitors and PSU on-board connector.

I cant post links to the news group thread, hence its not appropriate on this forum board. But, to find out about alot of inside stuff, just visit your local news groups (Every ISP provider has different ones aloud).

Use Agent to browse through them, there is millions of posts weekly.

Like I said before, just a newer stepping. I never got the actual code to distingush the two but I was told that the new ones would NOT have intergrated IGP. So, if you want better chances, get a main board without IGP.

OC-Master

theres always something on the horizon.
as soon as I got my first KT-400, 2 days later I am seeing the first hints of a KT-400a.
the Nforce 2 will have thier second gen stuff too.

Back