• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Pelt temps 60c+++

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyranos

Ok.. I think its b ecause its not making very good contact to the cpu... the volcano gets very hot when the main comp is off. The volcano is powered by my main comp. (i have a seperate computer powering the peltier. I have to turn my main system off after a while, because the temps get too high, but I leave the peltier powering system on. I believe the construction of the HSF/cold plate/peltier is good, since the heat sink gets so hot, from the hot side of the peltier. I think I may have cold plate/cpu contact problems. I have the KT400 gigabyte mother board, and it DOESNT have the four bolt holes like the kt333 did. I've constructed some ghetto clip thing, to tie the beast onto the socket...Does anyone know how to mount a hsf/pelt system on a mobo with no bolt holes? Ugh, this might sound confusing, since I'm typing from the floor... help? I have a xp1700+ non o/c cpu. The HSF is a volcano 7, the pelt is a 40x40x4.4, 34w qmax pelt. I know this is a pretty weak one, but I'm just trying to get temps to around 25c - 35c.

That pelt is way underpowered for the job, and a HSF is too little cooling for the hot side of a pelt. Read Paxmax's post here.

It answers your questions.

Whoa !!

No no no... the pelt is to weak. :(

Your processor generates far more heat than the peltier can remove. You need a bigger peltier. At least 120W to even make a small difference.

Use it for chipset instead :)

If that volcano is anything like the other volcanos ive worked with...it NEEDS to be lapped. And yeh...that pelt is WAY to small for that processor. I would suggest removing it RIGHT AWAY. Thats not good on the pelt or the processor.

whew.. I got my computer running again. Stuck the volcano on there by itself, and I'm getting around 36c cpu temp. The copper plate was already super smooth from the factory. Whelp, does anyone know a good place with pelts, water cooling systems, etc for cheap?

dont wanna steal the thread, but I was told running an underpowered Peltier on a cpu, would fry the peltier... I didn't think it would remove ANY of the heat from the cpu. If that 34w peltier, could bring temps down to 60c, couldn't I get an 80w, and slap it on my xp1600+. I dont want subzero temps... too much insolation hassle, just want like 20's. Is this possible?

tripwire said:
dont wanna steal the thread, but I was told running an underpowered Peltier on a cpu, would fry the peltier... I didn't think it would remove ANY of the heat from the cpu. If that 34w peltier, could bring temps down to 60c, couldn't I get an 80w, and slap it on my xp1600+. I dont want subzero temps... too much insolation hassle, just want like 20's. Is this possible?

Try using this almost "easy" equation. Hopefully you've got your cooler tested by overclockers.com and can use that C/W figure.
Insert all your info into the formula found here:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=137660

That formula isn't perfected yet, and has a few flaws, but good for ballpark numbers.
Shooting from the hip though, I don't think 80W is going to cut it. If you had watercooling, then maybe.

/Paxmax

Lt. Max said:
hey my friend wit a 226w pelt @ 12v got about 20c load... wit xp1600 @ ~1800mhz
He didn't get better temps with 226W pelt AND watercooled?
Sounds like he has a small wc-rig to me... or how much heat does his prolly spit out?

Tripwire, Oopsie me :) My bad... :) sorry! You DO indeed have WC !
Go for 156W, regulate the heat with the fan for the heatercore.

wow your lucky u didnt fry the whole mess with a 34w pelt and a volcano hs. in order to cool the cpu the hs has to be able to dissapate the 34w of heat from the pelt plus the heat from your cpu.otherwise it just builds up. a volcano just aint gonna get it done.to make a difference you need at least a 80 w pelt, and an efficient means of dissapating all that heat. a water cooling setup is your best bet for a pelt.. flapperhead

Back