• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp [email protected] Vcore, is it insane ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The-Fox

Registered
hey, i've got Asus A7V333 mobo and AXP 1800+ with AGKGA Steeping, and I used the OvreVolt jumper that is on the board, usually the Vcore goes to 2.1 V wich is High cuse I got TT Volcano 7+ Cooling, but sometimes it goes up to 2.20 and iven 2.23, I think its because i got a Generic PSU, is tha's the problem ?
And is 2.2X Vcore is Insane ?, can it fry my CPU ?

yes. if you are using 2.2vcore with air cooling it IS INSANE! you need water to go above 2.0v. the highest safe you can go w/ air is 2.0vcore and that is ONLY with either a swiftech mcx462+ or SLK800 and a tornado/delta 80.

if you keep your voltage at that high you wont have your cpu for more than a few months.

I'm not familiar with the overvolt jumper(or your motherboard) but anything over 2 Vcore is too much for air-cooling to handle. 2.2V will most likely shorten the lifespan of your cpu but many people run at 2.2V, you just need adaquete cooling(watercooling).
Its possible your generic PSU is causing the problem, I would recommend getting a better PSU, maybe an Antec True Power. What are your temps? They must be crazy at a Vcore that high.

The-Fox said:
hey, i've got Asus A7V333 mobo and AXP 1800+ with AGKGA Steeping, and I used the OvreVolt jumper that is on the board, usually the Vcore goes to 2.1 V wich is High cuse I got TT Volcano 7+ Cooling, but sometimes it goes up to 2.20 and iven 2.23, I think its because i got a Generic PSU, is tha's the problem ?
And is 2.2X Vcore is Insane ?, can it fry my CPU ?

Hey man, we live pretty close to each other in comparison w/ other people's locations :).
I think its too much to run 2.2 volts on air. anything over 2 volts is getting dangerous and using only mere air cooling makes it even worse, I would either suggest water cooling or lower the voltage. I don't think that any overclock for a short period of time worth a dead chip. the AGKGA are far from being a good stepping and this sux but I would try to stay below 2v at any time. As already asked, what are your temps, and do you have any airflow? also a clear from wires and other stuff case is important to have.

Hoot found this out a long time ago, but if you attatch a 500k potentiometer to the same pins that are connected with the overvolt jumper you can get any voltage between 1.75V-2.2V. It's very easy to do (I used an old hdd LED connector from an old computer case), and much better than just using the jumper.

Do a search in the Asus AMD section for more info. ;)

TNX For the Replys PPL, BTW, Arthor, its me Omer, i learned with you in School, funny how Small the Internet can be.:D
I usually dont use the OverVolt Junper, it was just to check wat this Crappy CPU can do, very bad Stepping, I heared all the Xp 1800+ that comes to Israel are really bad Steppings, though you can get an AGOIA XP 1600+ for 90$ wich is prety Cheap in Israely terms.
when I used the OverVolt (maybe 3 times) the temps got to about 60 Degrees Celsious in Idle and about 66 in Load, its vecause all my Case is arranged as Hell, I rounded all the IDE/SCSI/Floppy Mysels, and I got the molexes behind the Mobo, when you look at it it looks like there are no cables at all.
I have one Intake 80 MM generic Fan that is in the lower Front, and one Fan brings out the AIR at the Upper back of the case, its is near the CPU, below the PSU, so I think I have Dicent Airflow, my M/B Temps are 30 at Idle, and 32 at LOAD.
RnPgrosz: I dont think I'll get an Antec PSU or Enermax, they are Expensive As Hell in Israel, You can ask The Coolest.
and Adamu, 10X for the 500k potentiometer Trick, I'll check it out...

Your Brother is a "Lucky Basterd" :D
J/K, but with a good AGOIA XP 1600+, and a nice HSF you can easily get it to 1900 MHZ, with Watercool I dont even want to think, for about 2100 MHz or something...
its sure is an Overclocker Friendly :burn:

LOL! Damn, long time no talk ;)
I think that the ambient temps are really an issue around here.... My board is about 31C on full load, and temps reach 47C at the speed that I'm running, but the PC really sounds like a vaccum cleaner... and yea the branded PSUs are really expensive here, one of the reasons why I'm stuck with my overclock is that these generic PSUs really suck, won't let me even up the vcore or it won't boot.
66C is really high when running such high vcores. I wouldn't reccomend doing that.
Also consider making a blowhole, it lowered my temps by like 5C just like that, and if you make a good round hole it will even look awesome!
here's a crappy pic I made:
Duct.GIF

this is what my case looks like right now

i have quite a bit of airflow goin through it...two 50+ cfm on the side, same on the front, and another 92mm up top, along with a high flow 80mm in the back, with the grill cut out, so theres nothin in the way of the air..modded the front of the case so the holes on the plastic are quite a bit bigger, and cut the metal so to allow a 92mm fan

case temps hover around 23C..its a little warmer today

Tnx For the Picture, I have some quetions about that teqniouce cuse I havent heared about it anywhere.
What Fan Size do you recomeend ? 80MM will be enough ?
second, how do you make that cone ?
and Third, do you think some Brun-In will Improve its Overclockablity ?

I used a 80mm fan, but if you got access to a bigger fan use it :)
I made the cone by cutting up 4 piece of stiff cardboard with the same shape and size and just stuck them together using "Hot glue" gun, and then wrapped it with scotch tape to reinsure it won't fall apart :p. I bet someone else might have better ideas than mine, but it works. I would ensure that the out put hole will be at least the size of the fan on the heatsink which is 70x70mm on the volcano7+, and it has to be kept a few cm from the fan itself so there's a space between the output and the CPU fan, so the air reaches both the fan and the components around it, adding to the cooling effect.

Burn in apps might help a bit. I personally couldn't get any improvement after months of burning in, but this is different for every chip. this 1400 is still new, and I'll have to see if burn-in (Folding) will help me gain more speed with it, but all my other CPUs, and I had a few, didn't really gain anything. Also your chip isn't new, or is it? When the CPU is already used, its even harder to make burning in effective, but it still might do you some good.
A good burn in program is Folding @ Home, just click the link in my sig to learn more

Tnx For The Tips on the BlowHole, I think I got it....
My CPU is about 3 monthes Old, is that new in Burning in terms ?

I think its ok. I think you should give it a try, won't hurt anything anyway. But if burning in (AFAIK) U gotta leave the PC on for at least all day, for this to be effective, I'm running my PCs 24/7 I even restart seldom so my chips are under heavy load at any given time.

On a side note, what did u use to unlock the chip, I was wondering what materials could I use here, if I ever get me one of these chips?

I used Super Glue to fill the Gaps, and then I used Silver Conductive paint to connect the L1 Bridges...
I just Finished to Build that BlowHole, went just fine and its Red, cuse, I used an old ASUS Mobo pack, with the red Style. but I need to make a hole in my side door, Or i just might make a window with a hole, I'll see what I can do...

Back