• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wut is up w/ CC verification

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wuzzapiman

i ordered from googlegear.com on 2 day Fedex shipping on thursday night. How can it take these guys more than a few minutes to virify my credit card. This is a living hell!!!
O ya thanx to Case-mod.com for doing everything right.

please explain y it takes so long or if this should be expected

Are you shipping to a different address than your billing address? That fouled up my first order from newegg.

Before I got it straghtened out, they had resubmitted my charges so many times that I got a call from my credit card's fraud protection department to alert me that my card may have been stolen.

sometimes a company will physically call to confirm cc info. they do this especially when they want the security number and/or credit limit

I've run into companies that want the shipping address on file. I remembered to do that for my current college place on my new cc. saves a ton of time to call now and put your addresses on file.

the banking electronic systems are not tied together in every case. it's not online company->account. it hops through different hoops, including such as being making sure it's not been stolen. sometimes a physical person at the cc company approves them manually once a certain risk threshhold is reaches. (like out of state purchase for a virtually local person)

so it could be one or all of these

i learned my lesson about buying stuff online, got my CC# hacked 128bit SSL is GARBAGE some guy made multiple earthlink accounts ( no clue HOW ) with my CC# whenever i buy stuff online i pick up the phone.

p.s. yes the bank paid me back 100% of the money but thats besides the point

CyberFed said:
i learned my lesson about buying stuff online, got my CC# hacked 128bit SSL is GARBAGE some guy made multiple earthlink accounts ( no clue HOW ) with my CC# whenever i buy stuff online i pick up the phone.

It is just funny that you would say that when you are trusting the person on the other end of the phone but not a form that gets read by a person. do you see where I am going. your number is not secure either way. Even handing your card to a waiter in a restaraunt is a security risk. I say pick reputable companies when ordering online and understand where there is a chance for your card to get compromised. Do you use a cordless phone to order stuff because there could be someone listening. Just something to think about.

CyberFed said:

I agree with Kendan. The fact that you're using the fone to make a purchase, does not mean, by any means that it's a safe transaction. Like Kendan said, doing business with reputable vendors is the only way we can rest with a little assurance they[the vendors] will not use our information illegally.

Anyway, the guy on the phone is probably using a web form to submit it :D

The 128BIT SSL probably was not hacked, the database the web form submitted to probably was. Same database your card number goes in when you call an order in...

Back