• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about the DRU500A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CuriousOne

Registered
Hey, guys.

Just had a question about the DRU500A, for those either using it or familiar with it.

The unit isn't supplied with an audio cable, and the pin in the back of the unit that is usually used for connecting a digital cable to your sound card is "reserved," for some reason, according to the documentation. So I assume this means I cannot connect a digital audio cable here, like other drives.

I found this in the Sony documentation that came with the unit:

Q: Do I absolutely need to connect the audio cable?

A: If your computer supports digital playback, no

What exactly does that mean?

Currently, I have a digital cable running from my Sony 40x cd burner (CRX195A) to my Audigy Platinum eX. As I understand, you have to connect a sound cable between the drive and the sound card. Or is this no longer the case?

I ask because I was going to pull the CRX195A from my PC and just use DRU500A as my all-round CD/DVD drive. Is this going to be a problem? And do I still need to connect an audio cable? My main concern is losing performance/quality, and want to make sure I set everything up correctly to perform optimally.

Thanks for any help :)

Back