• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 9700 pro for $200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoGeo

Alright, I figure that somebody here know's how large the employee discounts are for Best Buy or CompUSA.

I know someone who used to work at CompUSA, and he claims that he payed $200 for the 9700 Pro not too long ago. That's half-off, he's gotta be lying, right?

Thanks for the reply.

No way.

Futureshop here in Canada was just recently purchased by Best Buy. A buddy of mine who works there says they can get stuff at cost +10%. I don't think $200 is cost +10% for a Radeon 9700

Aha, he must be trying to show off then. Still, with at cost + 10%, that's a pretty good deal for employees...specially ones that OC the lastest and greatest stuffs.

That's what I said, then he reminded me he doesn't work there anymore.

maybe they found out he got the card for $200 and they asked him politely to leave :D

sounds BS to me that's what ?? umm like 50% off ?? (gee sorry like many other things my maths is crap too)

Best buy when I worked there as a computer tech was 10% above cost, which can equate out to some REALLY good deal's depending on what markup is, TV's were one of the high markup items at the time. Plus you got the other goodies like a Mobo and processor for 100$ for at the time a K6-2 500 and a FIC Mobo.

Just my two cents...

J :cool:

It is possible. When i wroked there 2 years ago I was able to buy things at 5% above coast. The markup can be huge. I bought a receiver that sold at the time for $530.00 for 340. and a pair of jbl speackers that sold for 220.00 each for 170.00(for the pair).

So it is possible that he got the card for 200.00. Remember Best Buy is a huge company. With mass orders there cost could be below $200.00

often times at besy buy it depends on whether or not you work in the department. my friend josh works in the mobile install bay there and he gets up to 45% off the car audio stuff. he said that the less car related, the less he gets off... i don't know if this is actually acurate, but he's bought me things from car audio and he really does get that much off... so it's possible...

well if i reamember correctly about a year ago there was a bunch of stuff on the front page about the video card markup at bestbuy. mabey was another site.

anyhow, they was sending the shipping tags to the site and the invoices that showed the prices they paid.was incredibaly low.like 66+% markup.

i may be wrong on all this couse i do have wild dreams.mabey thats where i saw oc detectives avatar girls at? lmao

Cool Rav, this guy was just blowing hot air. Now if I could only work for Subaru and get a WRX for near cost, heheh :burn:

One of my roommates works at bestbuy and he gets everything for 10% over cost. Some things the markup is tremendous on so he gets a really good deal, but on other things, there is little to no markup so his discount doesn't do much.

-Pfieff

NeoGeo said:
Cool Rav, this guy was just blowing hot air. Now if I could only work for Subaru and get a WRX for near cost, heheh :burn:

Getting a WRX at near cost would be sweet. I've been looking at picking one up for a while now. Just trying to get an "in" at the dealership.

-Pfieff

I think its pretty standard for BB employees to get stuff for 5-10% over cost, but what we really need to know is how much best buy is getting them for and I doubt its $180.

-Pfieff

kinda off topic but im glad futureshop got bought out by best buy, two weeks ago dvd player shopping for my dad, i found the staff at best buy way more helpfull.

But yea, hes probably lying, 200 is awfully cheap.

200 seems rdiculious...
:p

I mean, my lord... I spent like 45 a year ago on a geeforce2 mx200 and i havent had any probs whatsoever....

The power from a card like that is so far ahead of the software industry its sickening...

cxb said:
200 seems rdiculious...
:p

I mean, my lord... I spent like 45 a year ago on a geeforce2 mx200 and i havent had any probs whatsoever....

The power from a card like that is so far ahead of the software industry its sickening...

Ummmm. Yeah, Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Back