• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my leadtek is extremely hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ntpphong

even at stock speed, and i used artic silver 3.
the gpu side is just warm due to their dual fan, but the back side with the memory is extremely hot. i'm sure if i have left my finger on their for 1min i'd got a burn.

shall i exchange the card?

and i never managed a overlocking on it

You could just put a heatsink behind the GPU or some RAM Sinks on the RAM. It should be kinda hot. Just run demo loops of 3dmark2k1 for a long time straight and see if anything happens to it. If it gets Artifacts, Explodes into a burning napalm, or anything like that, than geta new one. O ya, if you put on a heatsink and RAM sinks and such, you wont be able to return it, so do that after you know it is okay.

ntpphong said:
even at stock speed, and i used artic silver 3.
the gpu side is just warm due to their dual fan, but the back side with the memory is extremely hot. i'm sure if i have left my finger on their for 1min i'd got a burn.

shall i exchange the card?

and i never managed a overlocking on it

just as TheFrag said, the heatsink should be hot to the touch. that is what it is supposed to do. it's not supposed to be cold. if it was cold, that would mean that it isn't doing it's job. i wouldn't worry a whole lot about a leadtek being too hot (as long as it's one with the 5 pounds of metal on it like mine :D)

ya..but i can't overlock it at all!!!
and when i tried to run 2x agp my sisoft sandra would hang up my system

Can you RMA?

This stuff must go back to factory!!! I have this problem too with my GF4 Ti4200 card. The DDR modules are running very HOT and I don't know why. The only thing I know, these modules are poor overclockers. Other people are running higher MHz with cooler modules temperatures.

So, to cut the story short: Don't fix it. Don't modify it. Just return the VGA for another replacement.

Re: Re: my leadtek is extremely hot

mbentley said:

just as TheFrag said, the heatsink should be hot to the touch. that is what it is supposed to do. it's not supposed to be cold. if it was cold, that would mean that it isn't doing it's job. i wouldn't worry a whole lot about a leadtek being too hot (as long as it's one with the 5 pounds of metal on it like mine :D)

Agreed, maybe aim a fan at it.
Rob

just as long as you don't return it just because it is running hot. only rma stuff if it is actualy malfuncting at no falut of your own. check the sig... it's the anti-unethical overclockers army (against bad rma's) if it works, live with it. maybe it is still within tolerance or you need to increase airflow. just try to keep the rma's down to stuff that is actually broken. :D thanks

no, i think something is really wrong with it. i run the batch run from 3dmark and 1 test failed
BATCH RUN COMPLETED at:
Tuesday, November 12, 2002 06:27:46

48 project file(s) saved to:
C:\Documents and Settings\Phong Nguyen\My Documents

1 of 48 benchmark runs failed.

the problem with rma is that i removed the fan filters and put as3 instead of the compound already...i doubt they'll accept it.

ntpphong said:
no, i think something is really wrong with it. i run the batch run from 3dmark and 1 test failed
BATCH RUN COMPLETED at:
Tuesday, November 12, 2002 06:27:46

48 project file(s) saved to:
C:\Documents and Settings\Phong Nguyen\My Documents

1 of 48 benchmark runs failed.

the problem with rma is that i removed the fan filters and put as3 instead of the compound already...i doubt they'll accept it.

taking off the heatsink and applying as3 will void the warranty... a good rule of thumb would be to check and make sure the card is running correctly before oc'ing the thing.

Before I watercooled my leadtek I simply placed a 50mm x50mm x10mm fan on the rear heatsink(used rubber washers to elevate the fan and control vibration affixed with silicone glue for e-z removal)

This did a pretty good job cooling the backside of the card, and since the heatsink is one piece it cooled the whole heatsink somewhat, its a $3 mod that works.

i like your idea of mounting a fan on the top... if i didn't have a case with a blowhole on the side, i'd be rigging that up right now... the other idea (if your case doesn't already have one) is to cut out a blowhole for an intake blowing right on your video card. this will surely cool it nicely and keep the airflow smooth. either way i am sure works just as well keeping a nice amount of airflow... it's more or less whatever floats your boat :)

my case does have a rear blow hole. and i dont know if it's the fault of the graphic card or the monitor, but sometimes my monitor just flashes a bit and goes back to normal. and the desktop flickers quite a bit even at 85khz setting

i have experienced the same phenomonon... it's way too fast to take a screenshot, but i thought that it was just my monitor... oh well... it only seems to be in windows. i am running 1024 x 768 16 bit color and 85 hz on my 19" monitor. what are you running at?

same resolution
see, that's why i need to return that crap, but dunno how to explain it to them

Lt. Max said:
the heatsinks aint that powerful on leadtek.. my bros ti4400 gets quite hot as well.
That is strange from what I've heard in reviews and stuff those big heatsinks are powerful and make the card good for overclocking purposes

XiOUS said:

That is strange from what I've heard in reviews and stuff those big heatsinks are powerful and make the card good for overclocking purposes

personally i believe that this is one of the best heatsinks i have had on a card (stock that is) the thing is nice and hot so it is working well. that is just my opinion... i know my pny geforce 4 ti 4400 sucked when it came to transferring heat... it's now a nice keychain...

Back