• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Everybody with copper waterblock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bad Maniac

I would like to know how thick the base of the waterblock is, on factory produced ones, aswell as homemade, and how big difference in performance it has.
By the base I mean how many mm of copper betwwen the cpu core and the water/fluid. Thanks for any help here.

I can just tell you that when this is finished, you can count on seeing my experiment on the front page, and if my waterblock turns out good, I will post everything about it aswell.

Well the base of my waterblock is about 3/8".

What you want to do is have a piece of copper that can maximize the spread of the heat from you cpu so you have more surface area to take the heat away from.... More surface area to take the heat away from the better, right? I think 3/8" of copper is optimal for the greatest amount of heat transfer.

There's an articale here that discusses this with cold plates: http://www.overclockers.com/articles305/

good luck.
dew.

On my homemade, three pass, cross-drilled block, I'd guess it's about 0.2" from the base to the water path.

My home-made 50x50mm block has approx. 6mm (1/4") thickness, with coarse consentric grooves in the "floor" inside.
Works well!

AMD T-bird 1133@1507 Idle temp.33C, 45 max load. Ambient 26,8C.
In conjunction with a Kt7A Raid 256Mb Mosel-RAM

That is an interesting question. I have a Danger Den block and there is no way to accurately measure without taking it apart, which I am not going to do. I recommend you email Danger Den and ask. They are very nice and will be happy to tell you.

Consider the best and worst case

Think about how the water cooling rig would perform if you could run water straight over the
processor core. I dont think it would be as effecient as using a copper block. Take the other extreme where the water is far away from the core. Then the water won't be effective. I suppose that the closer the water is to the core and the larger area the water comes into contact the better.

Fisco
:wq

thas true about the straight water to block cause the cores on the new chips have very little area, but if it was a intel you could cool the whole package silicon waffer and all want to use something thats not to peranent to attach in case you want to remove it. one bonus about this is you know that its seated well alllll the time if it isnt your puter is alll wet... using super chilled water could be a plus there too though. just adding my opinion.

Actually, if you check Spode's homepage here he had really good results with direct die cooling. Seems to me that the water block is another medium that the heat has to go through.

Back