• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Some Help/Advice about Case Temperatures (Beginner level of PC knowledge)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dstorrow

Registered
I built my first computer system a short while ago; I was wondering if someone could tell me if my temperatures were okay. I think they may be a little high. But first here are the specs:

Case: Antec 1080AMG SOHO Case (huge case, 35lbs, and steel :(

CPU: Intel P4 2.4B 533bus @ 150fsb 2.7ghz/ 600bus
HSF: AVC Sunflower HS and 5200RPM fan that came with it

MB: Gigabyte GA-8IHXP

RAM: Samsung PC800 512mb @ PC900

Video: OCSystem GF4 Ti4200 128mb (4ns chips) @ 300 gpu/ 565 ram

Sound: SB Audigy

Storage: 2 IBM 120GXP 60GB HDs (7200RPM) in RAID 0 (Promise 20276)

COOLING (Air): I have 2 front intake 80mm fans (80 cfm combined)
---1 side intake fan 80mm 40cfm
---2 rear exhaust fans 80mm 80cfm combined
---1 pci slot 2800RPM exhaust blower (for video card)
---Antec TruePower Dual fans (one is 120mm on bottom side and 80mm exhaust (but these operate at around 2000 or less rpm.
---2 HD coolers that have dual fans

My temperatures:

CPU Idle: 37-38
CPU during gaming: 42-43 max

Case just sitting there: 28-29
Case during use: 31-33max

This is my first computer that i've built, but I think the case temps are pretty high. I have 120cfm intake and around 120-130 cfm exhaust so I dont think thats the problem. plus its in a huge case. Does steel make that much of a difference over aluminum. By the way, the room temp is about 76f.

One thing I can think that might affect the temp is that the 2 rear exhaust fans are plugged into a seperate cord that the PS had. It said Fans only and had two plugs so I plugged them into it. Not sure if that would affect the temps though.

I appreciate any help you guys/gals can offer.

-DragonSlayer (UT2 name)

Overall I don't think your temps are real high.
COOLING (Air): I have 2 front intake 80mm fans (80 cfm combined)
---1 side intake fan 80mm 40cfm
---2 rear exhaust fans 80mm 80cfm combined
---1 pci slot 2800RPM exhaust blower (for video card)
---Antec TruePower Dual fans (one is 120mm on bottom side and 80mm exhaust (but these operate at around 2000 or less rpm.
---2 HD coolers that have dual fans
Suggestions...
-Turn the side intake to exhaust.
-The PCI cooler is probably only of minimal help.
-Perhaps you an 80mm fan with a Zalman bracket to direct the airflow to your vid card instead.

I'm not familiar with the cooler you're using, but I can suggest that you use one with at least a copper base. Perhaps perform some lapping on the one you have to squeeze some degrees out of it. Also use ArticSilver3 for your thermal compound if you aren't already.

That's my $.02 anyhow....

Civic_Addict said:
Overall I don't think your temps are real high.

Suggestions...
-Turn the side intake to exhaust.

If his side intake is directly above his CPU and not his video card it will be competing with the CPU Fan for a supply of air. Very bad.

Remove the slot cooler and simply leave that PCI slot open. THat will allow air to flow air past the video card without robbing the GPU fan of air.

You have REALLY GOOD temps. If your rear fans are next to the CPU I recommend changing them to intake. This will force the air inside the case out through any open PCI slots or through the PSU.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I wasnt sure if they were good or not. I will try tweaking the air flow, by changing the rear to intake and trying the side intake as an exhaust, and removing that PCI exhaust By the way, the side fan is nowhere near the cpu, it is only about 8 inches from the bottom making it right about where the video card is.

Do you guys know how much of a difference aluminum has over steel?

Thanks for the advice,

Back