• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer won't shut off!!! ACK!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dRagOOn101

I know this sounds really lame.. but for some reason, my computer has been having this persistent problem where everytime I tell it to shut off in XP, it REBOOTS instead!

Could this be a bug in the BIOS? I upgraded to 1009 awhile back.

Are you overclocking? I noticed that I couldn't shut off my computer when I overclock to around 2.6-2.7 with my P4S533 and 1009 bios. The latest beta bios fixed the problem.

right now i have it set at 133 FSB w/o 4:5 memory multiplier. i should get that beta bios though.. thx..

dRagOOn101 said:
right now i have it set at 133 FSB w/o 4:5 memory multiplier. i should get that beta bios though.. thx..

Use the 4:6 divider, if you can. The higher bandwidth is faster than the aggresive memory timings.

lightbulb8817 said:
Are you overclocking? I noticed that I couldn't shut off my computer when I overclock to around 2.6-2.7 with my P4S533 and 1009 bios. The latest beta bios fixed the problem.

I just downloaded the beta bios v1010 and it extracted as a STN.BIN file. When i tried to flash my BIOS, it went to the MyLogo screen and said "invalid" bios file.

I'm wary of flashing with a file that comes up like that..

anyhow, is this the file u used? did u use aflash.exe in DOS mode to do it?

dRagOOn101 said:

I just downloaded the beta bios v1010 and it extracted as a STN.BIN file. When i tried to flash my BIOS, it went to the MyLogo screen and said "invalid" bios file.

I'm wary of flashing with a file that comes up like that..

anyhow, is this the file u used? did u use aflash.exe in DOS mode to do it?

You extracted the file already...
Make sure you have the "all files" selection selected when you are looking for the bios.

It's hard to explain. I had the same problem...

Are you using DirectCD SW with your plex drive? If so there is a known shutdown reboot bug when using it with windows XP. Found out the hard way. Check out Roxio's site for more info.

Ferretwulf said:
Are you using DirectCD SW with your plex drive? If so there is a known shutdown reboot bug when using it with windows XP. Found out the hard way. Check out Roxio's site for more info.

nope.. not using DirectCD..

And I still can't get the sucker to shut off.. I tried patching the BIOS with that beta bios again using the all files thing and it made no difference.

Is there perhaps a bug in Windows XP ACPI? I haven't updated to Service Pack 1 for XP yet..

Windowsupdate.com. There was a fix for the Restart Bug, that had those symptoms. Fixed it for me a while back.

i checked out that site and i already have some patch installed regarding shutdowns or something...

I emailed asus and they told me to install ACPI.. but it's already installed!!

Back