• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700 Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KiKaL

Dont think this has been posted before and if it has sorry but this is a pretty cool kit for your 9700
Here

That kit looks nice, but I'm not sure what to think of it. I have the same materials that I had lying around. I attempted to use the Corb which yes did install with ease. That damn square surround is .0322 high and the CPU core is .0281 so we have roughly .004" difference right. Here are the thickness specs of the adhesive, it can be between .004-.008" in thickness. Here is the quote from the AS website with reguards to AS3 : "The flatter the mating surfaces, the thinner the layer that is required. Stock processors and/or heatsinks with normal surface irregularities will require a layer 0.003" to 0.005 thick as shown below to fill the resultant gaps. (Equal to the thickness of about 1 sheet of standard weight paper.) Properly lapped heatsinks with mirror finishes will only require a translucent haze."

Well I did just that and I had at least .004" thck AS3 and my s**t barely runs Windows. If I dare run anything graphic it locks up and shuts down. I have tried this 3 times and even placed the stock back on, but now I'm missing the darn goo tha came on the card which is replaced by AS3. This card is brand new and never used. Anyone else use this cooling technique?

Looks interesting, might want to get one, BUT.....

I have a feeling I would goof something up and rip the core right off my card :eh?:

I've heard of the freezer trick and all, but how do those pins that hold the HSF come off? Also, how do you take that shim off since it definately NEEDS to come off.

One more thing, do ramsinks really help that much on the 9700? I've heard the memory doesn't get too hot, although I've never felt it myself. BGA style memory is supposed to be pretty cool running, but it still warms up pretty good when running at the speeds it does?

All in all, I think I have a moody 9700:rolleyes: Some days it won't give me any overclock (maybe 10-15mhz over stock) other days I can run all of 3dmark at 350/700 totally stock cooling. :confused:

1) The ramsinks don't do anything for me. I get the same O/C with and with out them. They hardly get warm too.

2) Don't worry about the pins, once you get the card nice and cold (freeze for about an hour) slide a credit card between the GPU and the HSF, then use a screw driver to pry it off. once the adhesive gives the pins will too.

3) Use AA, AS3 CAN ruin your card. Even if your very careful you still run a small chance of ruining the card and IMO its not worth it.

4) I'd recommend a Cooljag 1u.

5) Getting the shim off, I have no clue;)

Ok, I heard of someone getting the shim off, something about using a fine razor blade to get under it and pry it off (extreme caution :eek: ) or depending on what kind of material it is, maybe you can try and "shave" some of it off........but then you may risk having the new HSF sit crooked.......

Anyone mind sacrificing a 9700 for experimentation? :D

WTF you have a 2002 with the supercharger on it? Anyway yeah I am trying to figure out how the hell to get rid of this pain in my *** shim!

[thread hijack]

Supercharger? Haha! I WISH!!!!!

The 'Stang with the supercharger is the new 2003 Cobra :D

Ford claims 390hp 390torque but I've heard that people have seen them on dyno's with 380hp STOCK - AT THE WHEELS :eek: :eek: :eek:

That would mean something around 420 at the engine!!!

BTW - Not a bad car for only being 18. :D

[/end thread-hijack]

Oh yeah...uhhh.....shim, yeah.....shim is bad. Hahaha.

Back