• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a few questions with linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rob3rtz

ok i have a few question

1. my linux run stable for a couple days..but it does random logout, i don't know why this happend..in windows i know if u overclock it can be random restart..but my linux box is not overclocked

2.how to uninstall program or any packages ( in tar and rpm)

3. how i be a root in GUI mode..i know in terminal we can type 'su' ..but how if we want to edit some file and it need to be root first in GUI

4. ..i pres ctrl-alt-f1 ..to get to terminal(or sort of) ..but how i back to GUI?? i type exit..but i asked me to login again and not going back to GUI

by the way i using red hat 8.0 and GNOME

thx in advance...

You can log in as root if you want. Ctrl+alt+F7 = Gui. That random logout might be because of a corny videocard or something of that nature.

hmm ctrl-alt-f7 not working..any other way??

and about random logout..it is possible..because i use 8mb ATI..my old vga card.thx for the info

and also i have other question..
how do you read file like README in terminal??
usually i open it in GUI..

Try a bit higher up with the Ctrl+Alt+F key combo's all it will do is switch to different Term session's you aren't hurting anything I believe with mandrake it's either F10 or 11 that get's the gui session back up, worth a shot.

J :cool: Hope that helps...

ok..i got it now..ctr-alt-f1..go to terminal
ctrl-alt-f7..back to GUI mode again..

ok 1 question down..

and i have other question
when i do ls ..there are a few colors..like red blue and green..what are they stand for??..

Last edited:
rob3rtz said:

my linux run stable for a couple days..but it does random logout, i don't know why this happend..in windows i know if u overclock it can be random restart..but my linux box is not overclocked

i assume your talking about X crashing so make sure you have your video card configured corectly it wont reconfigure it for you like windows try "xf86config" to reconfigure it

rob3rtz said:

2.how to uninstall program or any packages ( in tar and rpm)

some programs are difrent you need to read the documentation that comes with them usualy all you ahve to do is run a script or just delete where they are installed

rob3rtz said:

3. how i be a root in GUI mode..i know in terminal we can type 'su' ..but how if we want to edit some file and it need to be root first in GUI
you dont really need to be in the GUI for anything you can edit files using 'pico' or if you just want to view files type "more Filename" allso if you want to learn about a command just try "man command" this will bring up text explaining what the command does etc . . .

but if you wana be in the GUI as root just login as root and type "startx"

The colors represent different properties on files. Blue are directories, green are files marked executable, red is typically a broken link I think.

Re: Re: a few questions with linux

you dont really need to be in the GUI for anything you can edit files using 'pico' or if you just want to view files type "more Filename" allso if you want to learn about a command just try "man command" this will bring up text explaining what the command does etc . . .

but if you wana be in the GUI as root just login as root and type "startx"

hmm..is there other way besides login as root??.. for example i want to modify permision to some file while login as a user..and it need to be owner(root i believe).and i don't want to logout and login again as root...i know we can mod by using command in terminal..but i'll mod a lot of file permision..so the command will be hurt me..

'startx' command is to run gui mode..but can we run 2 GUI mode..so just switching over by ctrl+alt+Fx..??i tried but couldn't do it

and if someone know ctrl-alt-F8..it just give me blank page...what is this for??

Why do you need to run X as root? Its generally considered to be a security issue if you do it on a regular basis. You often don't need to run X as root if you just want to run a program as root. For example, if you want to use konqueror with root access, just open a console, su to root, and then type konqueror. It will start with root powers because, essentially, the root user started the program.

I don't believe you can have more than 1 X session open on a single screen at any given time.

im just saying the console really is quicker if you wan to edit the permisons of all the files with the extention .mis

just type chmod +rw *.mis this will make all files with .mis readable and writable

but any way I found how ot run 2 X sessions its kinda cool to do too :)
startx -- :1 since the first X session is 0 and if you wanted to run 3 just do a startx -- :2 etc . . . hope this helps

What about virtual desktops? I know all the good window managers support this function, and that's like having multipule instances of X running, but you don't waste as much system resources as starting X numerous times.

virtual desktops is just like taking all the windows off the screen or hiting win+d in windows
but that would be an interesting idea difrent users for difrent desktops but sitll you would have to load preferences for each etc . . .

A virtual desktop, doesn't just lower the windows you have up, it's another desktop to use. You can run different programs in each instance of the desktop. The whole point of virtual desktops is to exend your workspace in the computer, instead of one little screen to get all cluttered you can have tons of them.

wow..thx for the tips..i could do 2 or 3 X now..and i have figure out how to switching between them..

in case anyone doesn't know ..
ctrl-alt-f1 ---- ctrl-alt-f6 is for terminal or consule
ctrl-alt-f7----ctrl-alt-f12 (i think) for GUI

i want to try virtual desktop..where i can d/l it?..
try freshmeat..and couldn't find it

and thx for titan..the trick to open konguer with root power is perfect for me..(i don't know why i couldn't think this way before)

oh edit : i got error when try second X as root.
seems that it can't do daemon with theme..background and some other..which is ok for me..but if i could fix it will be great

Last edited:
Your window manager already has it built in. There should be a box with four smaller boxes inside on you tool bar.

You might want to visit these links for a little more information about virtual desktops
http://www.kde.org/documentation/quickstart/using-v-desktops.html
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/mdoc/user/kde_virtual_desktops.html

Edit:

Sorry, I just realized that you said you weren't using KDE. I'll try to post GNOME links as soon as I find them.

Ok here you go. In Gnome they call them workspaces.
http://www.gnome.org/learn/users-guide/2.0/gosmetacity-716.html

And if you serious about using gnome you might want to read the whole users guide.
http://www.gnome.org/learn/users-guide/2.0/

Last edited:
oh virtual desktop = workspace...
i am using that one..but still i like to have 2 X running for different user..(just for fun)...
i start to like linux...at first kinda confusing but it's worth to learn it..just got a few prob installing some prog..i'll post in other thread

Back