• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD 80GB SE not detected?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chrisdafu

When ever I turn on my computer it will not detect the hdd. The first I was using a bad ide cable and the cd rom wouldnt detect either. Switched the cables and now the cd rom is fine but the hdd will not detect. I havent played with any of the jumpers yet. The mobo is an epox 8kha+ f that matters.
PLEASE HELP
Chris

I'd suggest putting the hard drive on the primary IDE channel with the other drive. Running a hard drive and an optical drive on the same IDE cable isn't advisable as it impacts performance.
Also, make sure it's recieving power. Try switching molex connectors. And lastly, go into your BIOS and see if it'll detect it.

~THT

Im at school now but when I get home I'll put it on an ide channel of its own and see what happens. I tried to detected it in the bios and it keeps saying none detected. Ill switch the power connector also.

Indeed! There are different jumper settings for "master" and "use alone", which also caused me momentry trouble wtih my 40GB SE when I got it. (Forgot to switch the jumper position.)

Also, see if you need to use the EZ BIOS.

-- Paul

Lemme know how you like it if you get it working, I'm thinking about buying one.

I just got 2 of these drives and have them both in the server I am building and both were detected no problem. This is a ASUS TUSL2-C MB. Steve

Got the Latest Bios?

I had this prob with an old P2 system. Your bios may not be able to recognize the 80 gig size.

Here's what it says for the latest bios for your mobo.

3/25/2002 - 223KB
Turn off KB led after ACPI S3/S4/S5 mode. Added support for hard drives up to 137GB. Added Athlon model 8 BIOS support (CPUID=680). Speed up S3 resume on Windows 2000 platform. Added support for shutdown temperature in Windows 2000 platform. Fixed file copy failures from IDE2 to IDE1 when file sizes are over 500MB

EP-8KHA page.

Hope that helps.

Fess_ter

Back