• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cidaemon.exe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thezman

Registered
Hiyall,

I was looking into overclocking my PC soon, but have been looking and processes and temperatures, and relized that my CPU keeps going up to 100% usage, I went to the processes tab and relized "Cideamon.exe" was taking all the bandwidth!
It will sit there, untill I kill it.
Once the process has been kill it may not appear for a few hours or it may come back in five minutes.
I searched for the .exe on my PC and it is stored in C:\Windows\System32, I also tried to delete it but it is just regenerated.

Any one got any ideas?

P.S Im running XP Pro & I have attached a screen shot for you to look at!

I had a similar problem recently- and I'm glad to say that its nothing to do with your CPU, I had a file called "win32lib.exe" that i couldnt get rid of as it was a systemfile in use (not sure about XP but in Win.ME (don't laugh- it was OEM) you cant delete a sys file when in progress).

On a hunch a bought McAfee anti-virus (it was half price so i snapped it up) and it turns out that the file had a virus, cant remember the name though, and it wouldnt clean it- but I had problems with another virus and i had to do a Clean Recovery, after re-installing Windows and putting all my Apps back in- no virus problems, and oddly enough- no "Win32lib.exe".

As a result, my temps dropped OVER 10*c at Idle (it was prevoisly at a permanant 47*c- now it just about reached that at full load, 35*c at idle :D

Have you got WinTop (or version of- shows ALL RUNNING PRECESSES, even "hidden" ones)- i'll post it later when i got time

Searching for that exe revealed it is a windows system file, so you probably need it. On the windows site it said something about that exe (among others) causing high cpu usage in win 2000 but it was apparently fixed in sp1.

It wouldnt hurt to do a virus scan as that file may be infected or you may have a virus unrealted to that file that is causing the high cpu usage. click here for a free virus scan from norton antivirus.

The Virus wouldnt be "orifice" would it?

My G.f just found a notepad that had details of my first virus scan (when i had my problems)... Heres the write up>>

File Name Virus Status
--------------------------------------------------------------
Win32lib.exe Orifice2k File Deleted

Spool32.exe Backdoor-ach Unable to clean

I didnt want to delete Win32lib- but when i clicked "clean virus" my file was deleted too! :cry:

I don't think its a windows file- cos i just ran a search- and there is no file of that name (or any like it) in my system.

the Attachment is that "Wintop" file I mentioned ealier- did I mention earlier that it also gives a %age of CPU usage- might help you (it works on Win M.E but dunno about XP)

I have done a virus scan it found 5 virus and sorted them all (I used norton anti virus 2003)
But its still happening.
Any one got any other ideas.

I know this might be a silly question and nothing to do with this prob I had, but i ran that exe that was saved as attachement on this post and it come up with some error regards to Kernal32.dll, it was somthing like "could not find marker flags in kernal32.dll" So I done a search for kernal32.dll and it didnt find anything?
Strange??

try clicking the start button, then run and type msconfig. Click the services tab and check the little box beside "Hide all microsoft services", that will get rid of all of the MS stuff so anything that is still there can be disabled safely. Try looking in there for stuff that doesnt need to be there and disabling it.

Also do you have Kazaa installed? if so go to the add/remove programs thing and uninstall brilliant digital projector if its in there.

if theres a problem with the kernal, it may be because WinTop (my previous attachment) isnt totaly compatable with XP- I use Win M.E nad it works fine- but i dont know if it is 100% with XP.

Do a search for Wintop in google- there should be something there- IF you can sift through the crap.

BTW- Can you remember what viruses you had?

its the index service filter for indexing ur drive
the service itself takes up about 500k to 2 MB just being idle and a lot more
resources when it activates.
it is supposed index(be active) only when comp is idle but sometimes starts even when you are doing something :(

I personally feel the index service is worthless on most comps.
If u disable the index service in admin tool services
both cidaemon and cisvc should stop loading

good luck :)

Last edited:
Back